Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

August 2020 New Issues

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 2,612Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4635 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did anyone purchase one of the silver $20 Bill Reid coins? I'm curious to learn if the colouring is, in fact, over engraved surfaces.

If you did pick one up, or see one in person, I'd appreciate hearing about the reverse surface - flat or engraved?

Thanks!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
08/04/2020 8:18 pm
Valued Member
Canada
449 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems

I have order one but not received.

This is the info of the coin:

Iljuwas (Bill Reid) brought Haida art and culture to a global audience. His extraordinary body of work includes 1,500 pieces ranging from jewellery art to monumental carvings. His artwork has appeared on Canadian coins, including this 1 oz. pure silver tribute to the artist on the 100th anniversary of his birth. We've combined engraving and colour technology in this silver version of Bill Reid's Xhuwaji, Haida Grizzly Bear, featured on the special edition 2020 $2 circulation coin.

Buy this pure silver version of our 2020 tribute to Haida artist Bill Reid. Order today.

Special features:
OUR 2020 TRIBUTE TO HAIDA ARTIST BILL REID: A 1 oz. pure silver version of the 2020 $2 commemorative circulation coin that features the iconic art of Bill Reid (1920-1998).
FULL COLOUR: The engraved design is enhanced with beautiful and bold red, white, and black colours to match the original artwork.
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE ART: A text-free reverse honours Bill Reid's ceremonial drum design and keeps the focus solely on the art.
A PROUD CELEBRATION OF CULTURE that also honours the artist on the 100th anniversary of his birth.
INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE: The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
LIMITED WORLDWIDE MINTAGE: Your coin has a limited worldwide mintage of 7,500.
1 OZ. PURE SILVER: Your coin is crafted from one ounce of 99.99% pure silver.
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4635 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jimper: Thanks for responding.

We've been having a little back-and-forth discussion on this one because the text on the RCM web site talks about engraved surfaces, but the images it has featured don't appear to show the engraving.

Please let us know the reality of things when your coin arrives. Thanks!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Canada
51 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  03:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Out of all the new releases, I think the only one I plan to get is the fold out Bill Reid card. The rest are either out of my price range or don't interest me.

The Black Rhodium GML / SMLs look nice but I try to avoid buying plated coins as I am have more traditional tastes. Same goes for colored coins.
Valued Member
Canada
391 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jazzy

Quote:
I try to avoid buying plated coins

In general, I prefer traditional engraved coins but I am more than willing to be moved by a compelling image. I like First Nations art and particularly West Coast First Nations art and have bought into most of these series as they become available... (I missed the 2015 gold ancestor mask D'oh and it is hard to find at a reasonable price).

I do agree though on the Maple Leaves. I have always had a philosophical issue buying a "proof" version of a bullion coin. Plating, painting, enamelling or even just the finer finish is insufficient to justify moving a coin from bullion pricing to NCLT pricing. I have the same issues with the UK Sovereigns. They are sold in both Unc and Proof finish at quite different price points though they are essentially bullion equivalent coins these days.

I have bought the Bill Reid series and the mint is suggesting the Silver coin will be delivered after Labor Day. I will be disappointed if it is not engraved and only a decal but I will still enjoy the coin as I like the art style.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6653 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does Mint need a Licence to use Bill's artwork on the coins?

I actually surprised, that to celebrate a legacy, the RCM have choosen......one design and use it for 4 coins (Toonie, Coloured Toonie, Silver and Gold).

Use different art for 1oz?
Create set of 4 oversized quarters or halves with different designs?

Yes, with the COVID I think people choose not to spend much, but Mint could be bit more creative. I think not few people will look for inexpensive NCLT to add to collections or to gift.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4587 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Artists works have copyrights, these coins will have fees
Valued Member
Canada
391 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@silveroid

Not sure of the contractual arrangement (License or otherwise) but yes, the RCM will need to have a contract with the rights holder to use the image... No different from the Superman or Looney Tunes series. The fee would inevitably be linked to the number of images used and the uses to which it is put and may involve either a flat fee or a % of proceeds.

Don't forget, this image was also used on the $20 bill from 2004 so it may be available for this use at a lower cost.
Valued Member
Canada
449 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2020  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems

I just received the 1 oz. Pure Silver Coloured Coin - Bill Reid: Xhuwaji, Haida Grizzly Bear. As far as I can see I don't think it is engraved but only painted on. It could be very lightly engraved and then painted over but very difficult to tell as it's a fully painted coin.

Here is the coin. you be the judge.

"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Valued Member
Canada
391 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2020  01:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jimper... Woot woot Congrats on the early delivery. It does look paint or a decal on a flat field. It is a stunning image none the less. Now I will head to the mailbox daily waiting for mine to show up.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4635 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2020  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jimper: Thanks for coming back to the thread and posting images of your coin! Much appreciated!

I agree with you. Looking at your images, I don't get the impression of an engraved coin with colouring applied, it looks like colour printing/painting only.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
6653 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2020  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, jimper, for sharing

Good looking image.

Painting is good to highlight details, or like enamel - to give extra depth. But putting the picture on the plain surface - not the best practice of coin minting as pieces of art.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2733 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2020  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just received my Gold Bill Reid coin. This is what an engraved coin look like and a piece of art. Clearly the silver coin design is painted on and not engraved.

Edited by MoneyPenney
09/10/2020 10:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
633 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2020  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Looney4Numi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The gold Bill Reid coin truly is a piece of art. Just beautiful!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6653 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2020  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just received my Gold Bill Reid coin. This is what an engraved coin look like and a piece of art.

Clearly the good one!
Very sharp details and contrast between mirrored field and frosted surface is great.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 2,612Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05