Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1946 Newfoundland 5 Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 651Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2020  06:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The 1946 Newfoundland 5 cent is a tough one to get. There were only 2,041 in the original mint run and god knows how many of those survived the 74 years that followed: PCGS has slabbed 88 of them, all fall between EF-40 and MS-67. So they're hard to find but they're clearly out there. Furthermore, I find that the George VI coins hold up well - so, while this coin is scarce, the examples that are around tend to be in good shape.

But scarce is scarce and my experience is that the rarer a coin is, the less you can count on the trends to predict price. Which brings me to this:

The pictures aren't great so this is a guesstimate - EF maybe? Asking price is $4,250 - which is well beyond my comfort zone. I offered $800 and I'm pretty sure I could hear the seller laughing was clocked "decline".

I'm curious to know where the NFLD enthusiasts would put this in terms of reasonable selling price? If EF is accurate then the asking price is > 4x the already inflated trend price. But then, many things are not accurately represented in the trends so....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1826 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2020  10:34 am  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
way over priced imo
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (click link below, you DO NOT need a facebook account to view)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
also you can see my collection of 1859 die pairs here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...47995&type=3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
666 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2020  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned EF, not sure what seller is smoking.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50575 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2020  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree.
Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2020  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah - crazy right? Not sure about the cleaned - the obv looks suspicious but I though the reverse looked more or less unmolested. Nevertheless, this is a no go .... the search for 1946 continues....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
666 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2020  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought that 1946 would be one of the easier dates to find, I mean yeah obviously pricey, but they seem to come up quite often.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3062 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2020  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
even if the coin was au, it would still be 3 times trends.
Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2020  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumiNortherner - I've had no luck so far.

@silverwold - yes - off scale. I've heard that there's been a bit of a run on coins this past few months but still.....
Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay - he's just knocked $1,000 off the asking price. That would seem to be an acknowledgment that the initial asking price is utterly arbitrary! Mind you, it's still off by around $2,000 so we have a ways to go before I would consider buying this thing.
Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For kicks, I decided to write to the fellow - here's my letter - seems reasonable to me...

Thank you for your counter-offer. Unfortunately, the asking price for this coin is still very, very high so there's no way I would consider it seriously.

To explain: the "trend" price for this coin is listed here:

https://www.coinsandcanada.com/coin...ts-1938-1947

The numbers are similar in the Charlton Guide.

These prices are generally regarded as inflated however most people use them as a starting point when trying to determine approximate value. A 1946 NFLD 5c in mint state would be expected to draw a price of >$1,000 - this coin is most definitely not in mint state. To draw the initial asking price it would need to be high up the Sheldon scale - at least MS-64. It would need MS-62 or 63 - both of which are still exceptionally rare - to merit the current price. To draw more than $2,000 it would also need to have outstanding eye appeal which, again, this coin does not.

To put all this into perspective, PCGS has graded 88 1946 NFLD 5c. Only 7 of them are mint state; 5 are graded higher than MS-63. The rest are mostly in the AU range which, again, this coin is not.

https://www.PCGS.com/pop/detail/mint-state/4492

It is difficult to gauge this coin because the pictures are not that great - but I would put it at EU with the proviso that it may have been cleaned. Given that a logical starting point for discussing sale is somewhere in the $500 - $1,000 range. If the pictures were better I would be able to be more precise.

If you want to ask this much money for this coin then you need to get serious about it. I am prepared to offer $800.
Justin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8099 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You started off on the wrong foot.
You misinformed the seller.
Trend price has absolutely nothing to do with coinsandcanada.
Trends is a copyrighted list of prices published bi-weekly by Canadian Coin News.
When dealers and others mention trend prices they are referring to the prices in the current CCN list.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
08/03/2020 10:08 am
Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well - okay - one word is clearly wrong.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
968 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning all,

DBM is right, but
you need to consider that a seller can ask whatever a seller feels he wants to ask. Maybe he is not all that interested in selling?
A possible buyer can criticize the seller or complain about the asking price. or ask others for pricing opinions. It does not matter.
It is also not unknown that commonly scarce coins bring a multiple of the original asking price, especially in European auctions.
Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure - if you're dealing with something super-rare. This coin is rare but it's not in that category and it's not in the sort of condition that would support that kind of pricing. In this case the person doing the selling is actually primarily a dealer in comics (judging by what they've got lined up on ebay). Yes they can ask whatever they want but what they're asking in this case is crazy. It's not that uncommon.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 651Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05