Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Simple Question: Is This 1871 Quarter OBV 1 Or Is It OBV 2?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 397Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
896 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  11:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Am torn between 2 sheets here.
is it obv 1 or is it obv 2?
it seems to be more toward one side than the other.
How do TPG's and collectors look at that
Thanks
H

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3052 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You need to show the ribbon ends from the hair
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You also need to show the Whole coin. Both sides
Valued Member
Canada
70 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UncleVicky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
obv. 1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8028 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is OBV2
I points to a denticle.
On OBV1 I points directly between denticles.
Show the whole obverse please as there are other markers.
The ribbon ends are not a reliable marker, 1871H OBV1's have been slabbed using the ribbon ends as a marker, they are all misattributed, I own one and have seen 6 of the 9 ICCS has certified.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
896 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okiecoiner,
sorry, I usually go by the I to or between. so I only posted it.
But I learned something today. If I now only could ID 100%5 these darn ribbons...beats me
can you please explain in simple words?
thank you
here is the whole obv side.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
896 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keith12
why would you need both sides to determine what obverse it is?
has nothing to do with the reverse.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3052 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't tell from the ribbon. Now, supposedly an Obv 2 the I in gratIa points to the denticke. The OP's coin has the I between the denticles, so it's an Obv 1?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8028 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It points to a denticle.
It's the angle of the lighting playing tricks with your eyes.
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3052 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you saying that the I in Gratia points TO a denticle on this coin?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
896 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oakie & DBM
this is the coin where I cropped the blow up of the I from.
Unfortunately, I do not have this coin in my possession yet... and may never have it.

Light influx... I know what you mean..But, the camera leans does not lie.
the way it looks to me, it is 3/4 one way and 1/4 the other, in favor of obv 1.
I actually have another coin very similar like this.maybe even 2.
will check this next day or two (weather is tooooo nice to play with coins.? but, will check.
My original question still stands, assuming there is not lighting tricks involved, in other words, how would a TPG describe it, a obv 1 or a obv 2?
decided to post an image of one other that looks just like the subject coin. NGC did not side.
you be the judge.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8028 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be judge and jury.
That's another OBV2.
I see absolutely nothing to cause any doubt.
The camera lens doesn't lie but it sure can mislead, I guarantee if you had these coins in hand you would have absolutely no doubt.
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8028 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OBV1

OBV2
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
896 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM
I used to own this coin ( NGC Holder) and I took the pictures.
Just saying that I am aware of the between denticles and to denticles of the I. I have numerous of each (1871)
This NGC coin I had was exactly like it shows in the picture. No fooling around with lights and angles or other tricks. fact is that the I shows about 4/5 toward being obv 1 and 1/5 (all approximate) toward being obv 2.

remember way back when a fellow suggested he discovered a 1932 far nickel? It triggered lengthy discussions about the 1932 far and near nickel. well, he won. Even though most of you (numerous members here... maybe it was Coopercoin site?) were at first very resistive believing it. finally after several months of discussions and searches everyone posted their results: I have x of them or I have none etc....
Could that obv1 perhaps be a obv1 A ? or obv 2 A?
I sold the coin after having it for some time to a private collector. Still have all the images.
As I said before: the camera lens, when used properly and without trickery, does not lie.
Of course, all this conversation does still not the originally posted question about what obverse the originally posted coin is?
there was considerable side tracking happening, all good and educational for many members.
It is also interesting to note and not discount or ignore, that Charlton leaves open the possibility of a OBV 1 1872. why would they if there is "none"?
Perhaps it is time for everyone to check mainly their 1872 Quarters for the obverse 1 or 1A possibility. And also 1871 25 cent coins for what obverse they have.
Edited by 47P7
08/03/2020 11:24 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8028 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can ramble on and on 'til the cows come home if you want.
Both your coins are OBV2.
It's a lighting issue, there are other markers but I'm not going to go there.

Quote:
It is also interesting to note and not discount or ignore, that Charlton leaves open the possibility of a OBV 1 1872. why would they if there is "none"?
Because at one time ICCS had misattributed a number of 1872's,they were removed from the catalogue but the listing remains with "none known to exist" as a caveat for those who may come across a misattributed example.
-from PCGS website
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 397Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05