Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Never Searched, Lots Of Older Dates

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 455Next Topic  
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  3:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KingFridayXIII to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I see this sort of thing from time to time, also hear it from those coin shows on TV, how do they know about dates if they never searched the coins? There isn't any way....right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLL-OF-SI...LH_Auction=1
Pillar of the Community
United States
1279 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was my first thought too.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50426 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they've never been searched, how does he know there are lots of older dates?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2332 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And XF or better
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KingFridayXIII to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose they could say that they only looked at a small sample and that they saw some older dates and xf+ in the small sample they saw. But it's sure hard to believe that anyone would just look at a few and put the rest back!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3600 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's just a deceptive gimmick.
Pillar of the Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They've all been searched! Think about it, if you managed to come across a large amount of unsearched rolls, would you turn around and sell them on eBay without looking, or look through and find the one's of value.

Coincidentally a lot of these sellers seem to have an endless supply of "unsearched" coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2116 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I once bought scrap silver from a coin shop out of their melt sack. There is no doubt that they pulled everything out that they could resell. But there were still plenty of interesting coins in there. Here's one

If I had bought coins directly out of the sack, paid scrap price and rolled them without sorting them, I could honestly say that I was selling unsorted coins. However, whoever put them in the sack had already removed any good ones.

This process is not any different than what happens with all the coins that banks roll. Rare coins are rare because they were removed from circulation by collectors. Old rolls of cents always contained worn 1919-P's but they never contained any 1909-SVDB's. Been there, done that back in the day, at fifty cents a roll.

People that buy these rolls on eBay don't think about what an "unsearched roll" really is. If you need a 1919-P in AG knock yourself out, but don't expect anything more.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
08/08/2020 11:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19575 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That stupid saying unsearched coins is just something to laugh at.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
2116 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My grandpa sorted through a lot of "unsearched" coins in the 1930's, as a Depression era county treasurer. He found semi rare cents and nickels (mostly well worn S mint, like the 1910-S cent) but none of the real prizes.

What he found went in his Whitman book....the rest went to be rolled....
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
08/09/2020 11:00 am
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  11:21 am  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it may be true of the seller in certain situations. Say an auction for an estate sale. With 100s of wheat pennies. Or a big pile of foreign coins. The auctioneer might not have the time or expertise to go through and pick out better coins. But I'll almost guarantee that at some point, some previous owner has gone through them with a fine tooth comb.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7289 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  11:40 am  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just the fact that they say never searched, means they know something. Plus, it's a stock photo.
Edited by edweather
08/09/2020 11:43 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 455Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05