Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Show In Ontario Next Week?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 745Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
70 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  7:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
According to the Canadian Coin News website, there's a coin show happening in Cobourg on August 16, with the following note: "The show will follow the local health department's COVID-19 guidelines. Please bring a mask or face shield."

Is anyone planning on going? I am curious to see how a coin show (presumably a relatively small one) is going to work in the middle of a pandemic, with indoor gathering restrictions.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
674 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I just may have a road trip coming up next Sunday. There is no times mentioned in the web site. I hope the line up isn't as long as some of the stores these days. Thanks for the heads up.

PS,
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Edited by loonielewy
08/09/2020 9:50 pm
Valued Member
Canada
70 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcome loonielewy. If you do end up going, would you be able to post about your experience and if you bought/sold any interesting items?

Thanks and stay safe,

MathMan27
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
674 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
would you be able to post about your experience and if you bought/sold any interesting items?

Sure I will. I'm more interested in getting out of the house to do something enjoyable. It will be very different, not rubbing shoulders with the collector beside you.

I want to get the 2 new toonies, 1 colour, one not, and maybe the 48 50 cent piece I still need to finish that set from 37 forward. I may take some trade silver, hope it keeps climbing, to soften the price on the 48.

Are you going to make it to the show?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
535 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And if you're going to go to Cobourg why not visit the Courtice flea market? There's a knowledgeable coin dealer there. He has lots to look at. Off the 401. And if you're really wanting to enjoy a drive there's a guy up in Lakefield at the flea market there on Sundays who has a lot of stuff priced to sell. Way up 28.
Valued Member
Canada
70 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will not be able to attend unfortunately. I live in Ottawa so it would be a bit of a drive (plus I don't drive).

@tamarin: Thanks for the heads up. If my family and I ever get up that way post-pandemic, perhaps we'll check it out.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
674 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MM27, Ottawa to Cobourg is a long way, besides, you should have more shows than this little town.

tamarin, sounds like you and I haunt the same woods. . Are you going to the show?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
535 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
loonielewy, no, I won't be going. But I do get around. I like flea markets simply because it's person-to-person and I can get the deal I want. Plus you can't discount the advantage of holding something in hand before purchase. I enjoy eBay, and I've got some spectacular deals there over the years and continue to do so. There are some secrets to being successful on eBay and some day I'll put them in an article. For now I'll simply grin.
Valued Member
Canada
337 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a website listing this show? Directions? I know where Coburg is but I don't know the town all that well.
Valued Member
Canada
337 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...never mind - found it!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
674 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We are going for that road trip. My buddy wants to go AND drive. Perfect. He even has a phone, so I may have some "masked bandito's" pics. I'll treat him to lunch. I'll report in, post show.

Valued Member
Canada
70 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking forward to it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
674 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that was fun. We got to the show and had to wear our face coverings. A lady took our names and postal code in case a break out was traced back to the show. Not to busy, we were there at opening, but it hadn't filled up when we left either. My buddy got a 1938 Silver Dollar he needed, and I got more than a few off my wish list. I wanted a 48 50 Cent Piece, and got it. Only 2 48's at the show, there was only 8 dealers, The 1st one I saw was over priced and ugly. The 2nd one was for me. Bought it from the shows host. I'd say VF20. I also snagged a 78 round jewel 50 cent piece, an 05P cent and a 26 and 27 cent. Also shopped for a friend and found him a nice 1919 dime.

I will mention that some of the vendors were rude, shouting across the room to each other while trying to serve a customer at the same time. Not cool to me. I did give 4 of the 8 my business.

Every dealer was open to offers, and I didn't pay full for anything. I got the 2 new toonies for 7 instead of 8 even. The guy needed change and I dropped it on him. I'm not big on NCLT, but being loonie, I had to scoop this deal up. I picked up the 1987-2017 30th Anniversary Dollar set. Voyageur and loon. Beautiful.

So, all in all, the trip was well worth it, and both of us agreed on it. Yes, we went out in public, but I was never meant to be a hermit, so just go to the next one you can and have some fun again.

Sorry no pics yet, I gotta wait until the better half gets home from work to use her phone for pics, but they are coming.

Go to a show. You'll love it again.

Valued Member
Canada
70 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great report loonielewy. I am glad you enjoyed yourself and that you were able to pick up some items you wanted.

Which dealers were present, other than the host (Classic Coin and Banknotes)?

Maybe smaller, local shows with 10 or fewer dealers is the way to go until the pandemic subsides. Hopefully this continues as long as precautions are taken and the shows are kept small.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 745Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05