Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is It Possible To Get Withdrawn Currency From UK Banks?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 515Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
179 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  06:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, long story short. I have a friend whose mum works in a bank, and was wondering if it would be possible to strike up some deal to get my hands on some of the withdrawn stuff that gets paid in. I was wondering if anyone here had experience with this sort of stuff? I was thinking it might be an awesome way to get my hands on some nicer examples of older notes and such.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1862 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt it.

Certainly, when I worked in a bank, all withdrawn banknotes had to be entered on a form and the notes were kept securely away from the counter.

It was against the rules to issue obsolete coins, too.

So, I doubt your friend's mum could do so, without risking dismissal.

In my days on the till, acceptance of obsolete coins were subject to manager's discretion (ie, whims) but now there seem to be strict rules.
So old large 50p, 10p, 5p, pre-decimal coins, new 5 and 20 coins aren't accepted at all.
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Valued Member
United Kingdom
179 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That does put rather a dampener on it, then. I do recall him mentioning her bringing home a 1 note one time, so I'd assumed the bank wasn't all that fussed. However, I suppose that could have just been a one time thing because it was such a novelty.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7619 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  07:42 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a tour guide I quite often get visitors to the UK showing up with obsolete notes. I change them for current ones so my customers have some spending money! Unless I want them for my collection, I pay them into my bank account. The cashier always takes a note of the serial numbers and stamps the actual notes with a rubber stamp when I pay them in.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
471 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  09:11 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Truly obsolete coins and notes can't be handed out at all, although sometimes I have got them to exchange out the single colour 2 coins as well as the 5 coins.
Acceptance of the old large size 50ps etc is still possible in most banks - the policy seems to vary by company. In my experience Barclays will take them - even the 1 and 2 shilling coins, but Lloyds won't take anything. Barclays won't do Half Crowns and sixpences - I think because the computer can't deal with the half pence involved in the calculation!

A tale: a few years ago a dealer I knew was in Ireland paying in money to a bank. In front of him was a LOL paying in old notes - he recognised them as very rare Beggar's ten shilling notes, and she was having a battle getting them accepted. When he got to the till he offered to buy them out - he knew they were worth hundreds, if not thousands of pounds each! The teller refused, and when he argued longer took the paid in notes and shredded them in front of him! Argghhh!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
179 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dang, I suppose there's no chance of any negotiation then? It really depresses me to think of all the awesome stuff that gets mutilated, like in Paddy's example. I obviously don't want (not have the funds) to buy every single one, but I'd love to be able to get a couple upgrades for my collection. Is there a specific reason why it's so forbidden? I can understand wanting to keep track of banknotes and that but would the odd exchange really screw the system over that badly?

Obviously, if it's a no then it's a no and I don't want to put her job on the line, but just wondering why it would be so expressly forbidden.
Edited by Collector28
08/10/2020 09:52 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
471 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it depends on who is behind the counter. I have negotiated a viewing of stuff handed in before with a friendly teller, and even exchanged out things where the value is straightforward (eg Old style 2 for new, 5 for 5 etc). I think it gets complicated for them when dealing with pre-decimal as the equivalent value is beyond most of our young bank tellers.
Work on a bank/teller you get on with or know - you might get there. Some bank companies have less strict rules than others - I have found Barclays more amenable than most. Remember, for them the easy answer is "no".
Valued Member
United Kingdom
179 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I'm hoping to do - it's a very good friend so I'm sure he can work a bit of magic. I can't imagine it being too much of an issue if I'm very selective with what I pick and don't bite the hand that feeds me - she's bought home a pound note before, so clearly they aren't too strict or she wouldn't have been able to (unless she did it stealthily). I'm not trying to buy their entire accumulation, just maybe get the odd upgrade here and there. She's also bought home alphabet 10ps, special 50ps and such so that's what got me wondering whether there might be wriggle room here.

Appreciate you guys giving your input, by the way - it's a great community to be part of, this.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
179 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update: she is actually allowed to swap for them, it seems. This could be a fantastic opportunity.
Learn More...
Australia
13445 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know about UK banks, but if their procedures are similar to those in Australia: once a deposited obsolete/NCLT coin or banknote has all the paperwork filled out for it for return and/or destruction, it's as good as dead already. But if it's just sitting there in the bottom of the till, waiting for the end of the day or the teller to have some slack time when they can fill out the paperwork, then it's OK to be re-issued to a customer if they request it. Many tellers and branch managers would even prefer someone else coming in and taking these oddball items off their hands, as it saves them from having to fill in the paperwork.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United Kingdom
179 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd imagine it would save them some hassle. Hopefully it can bear some fruit
Valued Member
United Kingdom
165 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2020  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
About 10 years ago a friend of mine visited a branch of Natwest Bank, he got talking to one of the cashiers about coin collecting. She casually mentions that a customer had paid some old style 50p's in. She then brings out the bag of 50p's, it contained 10 1992/1993 dual date European Presidency 50p's.

My friend got them for face value, I doubt it would happen nowadays.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
179 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2020  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's crazy, mrv!

I had some luck recently, but from a different bank - thanks to an uncle in Scotland befriending someone at a bank, I was able to get paper Scottish 20s (the issues immediately pre-polymer) from the three different banks. Admittedly it's not the most phenomenal score ever, but it's still something I'm very happy with and got me three notes I hadn't got! There was also one of the even older issues from the Bank of Scotland (from the 1995-2006 series) but it had writing on so my uncle didn't get it - he's asking the worker to keep his eye out for a nicer one, though (as well as enquiring about the oldest stuff they get...)

Does show that it is possible to get things from banks - albeit you have to know the right people! I might not get anything that will majorly impress you all, but there's an opportunity to get some of the old issues of notes that I'd otherwise have to pay a premium for. Calling that a score

Hope you all can share my happiness
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 515Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05