Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1817 George 3RD Coin

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 409Next Topic
Page: of 2
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  11:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add stretch4leeds to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi I hope you are able to access the two links to images I have pasted below. I dug up a George 3rd coin whilst meat detecting yesterday (assumed a penny). I have searched the internet and the closest I found to the pattern on the obverse was that of a half crown but this coin is copper not silver? Appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you

David Lees

img]uploaded/stretch4leeds/20200810114204_CEDE0DAD-BFEA-42CF-A4E3-C20C2CA0FA95.jpg[/img]

[img]uploaded/stretch4leeds/20200810114622_C5368123-D052-4BAB-892F-8691AB38BAA4.jpg[/img]
Valued Member
United Kingdom
177 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been meat detecting before, though I used much different machinery to get it
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stretch4leeds to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done for spotting the deliberate mistake- this should of course have read metal and not meat- which will explain my hatred of predictive text and the fact that my next signal was a bratwurst & &
Valued Member
United Kingdom
177 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, it allowed me to make a really bad joke

I can't see the pictures, by the way - tried copy and pasting the link.
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stretch4leeds to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stretch4leeds to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United Kingdom
177 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a George III half crown, just rather corroded.

to the community, by the way!
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stretch4leeds to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your ID of the coin as I said I was a bit confused as I thought that they only came in silver and wasn't sure
Valued Member
United Kingdom
177 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No problem

Good find!
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stretch4leeds to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must have been a George 3rd set of fields - within 20
Minutes had found this, a George 3rd penny and a British copper company token from about the same era
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7505 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could be a contemporary cast forgery - we'd need to see larger, clearer photos. I'm afraid these coins were quite extensively forged in base metal and then given a thin silver wash, which may have worn away after all those years in the soil. A genuine silver coin usually has some silver poking through somewhere.
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stretch4leeds to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definately no silver left on it if it is more contemporary but brings more clarity to my confusion about its denomination - makes sense really- thanks
Valued Member
United Kingdom
458 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say definitely a contemporary forgery of a Half Crown. Silver would not corrode that way.
There are collectors for these, but probably not in that bad a condition.
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stretch4leeds to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's the unfortunate toll of Agricultural fertilisers and years of field ploughing I'm afraid. Modern coins simply won't last that distance in comparison
Valued Member
United Kingdom
177 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I defer to the superior knowledge of PaddyB and NumisRob
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
501 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I agree with Paddy and Rob, a contemporary counterfeit.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 409Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05