Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2012 Georgina Pope - Women In Canada's Military Silver $5 - Coin 6 Of 12

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 274Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4632 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  12:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Georgina Fane Pope was a pioneering woman in Canada's military. She was the first of four nurses who volunteered to travel to South Africa in 1899 in support of British and Canadian troops fighting in the Second Boer War. A key element of what made the event noteworthy was the fact that each of the nurses was appointed with a rank of lieutenant - it was the first time nurses were given a military rank.

Though it was not mentioned on the Royal Canadian Mint ( RCM) web page for the coin, the driver behind the coin appears to be the 150th anniversary of Georgina's birth. She was born on January 1, 1862 on Prince Edward Island (PEI); she died in 1938 (also in PEI). Georgina was born into a wealthy family and could have lived a life of leisure. She chose, instead, to study nursing (in the United States at the New York Training School for Nurses at Bellevue Hospital in New York City) and to pursue a career in nursing in Canada's military.

From The Canadian Encyclopedia:

"...[Georgina Pope] achieved many "firsts" as a Canadian military nurse:

- the first nurse appointed to serve during the South African War (1899-1902);
- the first non-permanent nurse with the Army (1904);
- the first permanent nurse in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (CAMC, 1906);
- the first Matron of the CAMC nursing service (1908); and
- the first Canadian military nurse to receive the Royal Red Cross Class 1 medal (1903)."

I highly recommend reading the article about Pope by Cynthia Toman that can be found on The Canadian Encyclopedia web site - it provides a great history of Georgina from her early days through her military career and the legacy she left behind. You can find it here: Georgina Pope.

Per the RCM, the coin was issued to honour "the participation of women in previous wars and in today's Canadian Forces." The RCM's page for the coin also credits Pope with playing a lead role in making all branches of Canada's military open to women. A definite inspiration and role model for women with military aspirations.

Laurie McGaw was the artist/designer for the coin's commemorative reverse. The lower left foreground of the design is dominated by a portrait of Pope in military dress. (Shown below is an image of Georgina that appears to be the source of the depiction of Pope on the coin.) Behind Pope are depicted three women from Canada's military history: a nurse from WWI (at left), a member of the Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service (WRCNS) from WW II (middle) and a female member of Canada's current Armed Forces (at right).

Ms. McGaw has designed more than two dozen coins for the RCM, including one of my personal favorites - the 2015 100th Anniversary of In Flanders Fields $20 silver coin. I've previously posted about it here:In Flanders Fields $20 Coin.

The Susanna Blunt portrait of Queen Elizabeth II is on the coin's obverse; the Blunt portrait of QEII began appearing on Canada's coins in 2003 and continues to the present day.

The coin was struck on a 36.07 mm 0.9999 fine silver planchet; it was struck with a proof finish. The coin weighs 23.17 grams and has a reeded / serrated edge. It was shipped in a maroon clamshell case within a black sleeve. The coin was placed on sale to the general public on October 9, 2012.

The issue price of the coin was $69.95 CAD. It had a published maximum mintage of 10,000 but sales of that magnitude never developed. Per the 2012 Annual Report (AR) of the RCM, sales of the coin totaled just 3,154. Considering the October 2012 launch date for the coin, I find it difficult to believe that no coins were sold in 2013 - it was available for purchase from the RCM in 2013 - but the 2013 RCM AR does not list any. IMO, the lack of listing of 2013 sales was an oversight or mistake; I believe more than 3,154 examples of the Pope coin were sold into the marketplace.

I was able to purchase my coin for $35.00 CAD - another coin below my $40 target. The purchase brought my total spend on the RCM's $5 silver commemorative coins (on my list) to $217 CAD against a target of $240 - still tracking!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
Canada
9248 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2020  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool... so what series will be next after the $5 silver hunt is complete?
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4632 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2020  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure just yet. The 2014-15 Exploring Canada set of ten 36 mm silver $15 coins might be something I look into. I have a couple of the coins already, so I wouldn't be starting from scratch if I did pursue the entire collection. I liked the series when it was first issued by the RCM, but couldn't pull the trigger on the purchase. So, I may circle back to it in the coming months.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 274Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05