Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Double Dollar/Penny Sets: Prooflike Or Specimen?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 316Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
620 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2020  05:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wilsonwu89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm having trouble deciphering whether the coins in these sets are Specimen or PL.

The Double Dollar sets were obviously proof sets 1981 and onwards.
What finish were coins from the Double Dollar sets from 1971-1980.

How about the Double Penny sets, what finish were these coins?

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4644 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2020  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Per the Standard Charlton Catalogue, the coins in the 1971-80 Double Dollar Prestige Sets were all Specimen finish (brilliant relief on brilliant background).

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
09/02/2020 09:53 am
Learn More...
Canada
9255 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How about the Double Penny sets, what finish were these coins?

That can be a real dog's breakfast, as the coins were loosely placed in the small cases, with surfaces open for toning... I have seen everything from specimen strikes to business strikes in these sets, assuming that collectors and/or dealers have mixed and matched coins from these sets over the years. As issued from the RCM, I am pretty convinced that the 1-cent and 5-cent coins are PL strikes. The nickel dollars are hit and miss, some years are SP and some years are PL... same goes for the 10c, 25c and 50c.

Apologies for a bit of an ambiguous answer, my advice is to learn how to identify the difference between PL and SP strikes of the 1970s.

As a side note, the 1-cent coins from these sets can have beautiful toning, depending on the environment they were stored in, with both 1-cent coins having an obverse and reverse matching tone.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 316Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05