Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting Modern Commemoratives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 155Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
826 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  11:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've found myself buying modern commemoratives lately, mostly those with a historical theme as opposed to those such as the Baseball Hall of Fame or Breast Cancer Awareness. As most of you may be aware, I've bought them below the initial offering from the mint. As I've been building on these a thought crossed my mind about future value. While many may never realize much over what I have invested, looking at the mintage figures in A Guide Book of United States Commemorative Coins some of these appear to have substantial long term potential. The key factor, as is always the case, would be collector appeal. But, with the growing popularity in the early commemoratives the modern's are surely to have their place at some point in the future.
Or so this has been my thinking. What say you?
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Valued Member
Canada
160 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If Canadian history is an model,... commemoratives have generally had a small pop in price after issue and tended to decline with few exceptions in a death spiral to melt. (un/less popular first and more popular more slowly)
The hobby is beset by an aging (and dying ) demographic and an over supply of numbers and varieties of commemoratives and the mint's relentless increase in pricing of newer issues
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17284 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think cdngmt has said it rather well.
Sad, but true.

I do have a few commemorative 1892-1954 Half Dollars, but that is all.

Very few of the 4,500 coins in my collection are dated after 1950, which is a nominal date for me, a time when silver was beginning to be withdrawn normal circulation around the World.

The cashless society is coming, and Mints have to produce high quality, mostly over priced Mint product sold to collectors only, in order to remain profitable. Aftermarket prices for these products are usually less than the new issue price.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 155Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05