Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Was The Washington Quarter Considered A Commemorative In 1932?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 404Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
459 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  9:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Not Mint to Be to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does Commems have an article about this one?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4697 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You asked a very similar question about the 1932 Washington quarter back on July 31, 2012.

Here's a link to the original thread with my response: 1932 Washington Commemorative Quarter?

Let me know if my response answered your question!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Not Mint to Be to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You and yes it answered my question again. I since have acquired a PO01 1932-D.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4697 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to hear it! I'm always happy to answer history questions about my favorite series.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4697 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I since have acquired a PO01 1932-D.

Congrats! Is an image posted on PCGS?
Learn More...
United States
90945 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a link to the original thread with my response

Quote:
I since have acquired a PO01 1932-D.
Congratulations!
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Not Mint to Be to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do you post pictures from your cell phone to this thread?
Learn More...
United States
90945 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uploading Photos

Free Image Optimizer

You need to be able to browse your phone's file system to choose a photo to upload. If security features of your phone prevent this, then you will need to upload from another computer.
Learn More...
Australia
13445 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Re: the comparison between the 1932 Washington quarter and the 1937 Australian crown both "losing" commemorative status. The two coins both have this in common: neither coin actually explicitly mentions, on the coin itself, the thing being commemorated. Most commemorative coins do; the only one in the American Classic Commemoratives series that doesn't really do this is the Oregon Trail half. But if you merely look at the 1932 quarter, or the 1937 crown, you have absolutely no idea what they are trying to commemorate.

The lack of textual description of commemoration, plus the issue in subsequent years, justifies their exclusion as "commemorative coins", whatever the original intent was for the first year of issue.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Answering your question, yes. In fact the original designs were intended for a half dollar. Although Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon agreed on the Commission of Fine Arts recommendation for a commemorative half, Congress over ruled replacing the Standing Liberty quarter instead.
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
09/20/2020 10:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4697 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In fact the original designs were intended for a half dollar. Although Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon agreed on the Commission of Fine Arts recommendation for a commemorative half, Congress over ruled replacing the Standing Liberty quarter instead.

I'm afraid that this statement does not align with the facts.

The George Washington Bicentennial Commission did originally conceive of a special half dollar that it could sell for a premium as a special memorial coin. The Treasury Department, however, had been voicing its opposition to such souvenir commemorative coins for years and continued to do so regarding the Bicentennial Commission's original and informal proposal; the Treasury received a letter from the Commission in April 1930. After consulting with the Treasury, the Commission moved away from its half dollar thoughts and got on board with the Treasury's 25-cent coin plan.

It was, in fact, Secretary Mellon who sent a letter to Congress expressing, on behalf of the Treasury Department, the preference for replacing the Standing Liberty design on the quarter with one commemorating George Washington; the letter had attached to it draft language for a coinage bill to that effect. (The Treasury was in favor to replacing the Standing Liberty design due to the difficulties it had in properly striking Hermon MacNeil's detailed design.)

A Hearing for the proposed coin was held on February 13, 1931 by the House Committee on Coinage, Weights, and Measures at which the Treasury Department again voiced its objection to special souvenir coins and its preference for replacing the design of the Standing Liberty quarter vs. striking a special commemorative 50-cent piece. The Committee's subsequent report stated its support for the striking of a George Washington quarter.

No bill calling for a George Washington Bicentennial 50-cent coin was introduced in either the Senate or House, only bills for proposed 25-cent coins were offered for consideration. In each of the bills offered, Congress respected the wishes of the Treasury Department for a 25-cent coin - it did not overrule it. Also, the coin's design contest was held knowing that the new Washington Bicentennial coin would be a quarter-dollar coin and not a half-dollar coin - the designs were never intended for a half dollar.

Learn More...
United States
90945 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm afraid that this statement does not align with the facts.
Thank you for the clarification.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 404Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05