Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1965 Washington Quarter DDO?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 275Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
73 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  01:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Amy939 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this a ddo/ddr? I know pics arent great since my good phones camera broke and it looks much better with the magnifier glass. The B,E,R in liberty look doubled as well as most of IGWT motto. Reverse looks somewhat doubled but I also get really confused with Machine Doubling so hoping I can good answers from yall.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way more photos than we need (if you think it's a DDO, just one photo of the whole reverse is plenty). I'm not seeing any doubling.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Amy939 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually 1 photo doesn't do it justice when you are using a crappy phone camera. And if you actually look on the first photo at the B it clearly shows also on the 4th pic. All seem to exactly match the 001 on variety vistas.
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Amy939 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can anyone else give their opinion on this?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why would we need multiple photos of the reverse to identify a DDO?

And no, definitely not DDO-001. If you look at IGWT, you can see the hole in the O of GOD is the wrong shape, and the spacing of the bars of the E in WE are too wide to be DDO-001 (and none of the other letters show evidence of doubling either).
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Edited by SamCoin
09/21/2020 5:36 pm
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Amy939 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stated in the original post that I wasnt sure about the reverse being doubled or not looking at the b,u,s in pluribus. Can you help make me understand why the L,B, E look very similar to the real ddo001? The angles of pics dont really capture what I'm seeing on the motto letters
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2579 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm really not the right person to answer your questions, as I know little about quarters, but I can add a few comments.

When you see the shape of the letters in the details, and they look like the DDO or DDR in the listings, some things come into play. First is to know what the letters are supposed to look like, which can be done by looking at a bunch of coins from that year on coinfacts and even ebay. Font types can vary quite a bit year to year, and some really do look thicker and similar to a doubled die depending on the year. The age of the die also plays a part in how they look, as they generally get thicker as the die ages, along with becoming familiar with Machine Doubling (MD).

But once you see a coin that looks promising, you hunt the online images of the doubled dies for a "PUP". That is a pick up point. I did that for 1965 quarters and see that the DDO-001 has a nice bit of notching on the lower left of ERTY letters. Your coin is in good shape, and if you don't see this clearly then it probably isn't DDO-001.

I also looked at the DDRs. I found the PUP for DDR-001 (DDR-002 it is not) to be the thickness of the crossbar in the R of AMERICA. It's quite thick to the point of strongly reducing the size of the hole in the top of the R. Your coin does not show this.

So while generally a great thing to recognize that doubled dies change the shape of the devices or add to them in some way, it gets down to the specifics for matching something to a known variety. See the odd coin out, and then work on finding a PUP that nails it down.

And while I do not see a doubled die on your coin, again I know little about quarters and could be missing something, that doesn't mean that there aren't still more great doubled dies yet to be discovered. In the end, if you are pretty sure it's some variety but can't figure it out, then you pay a couple dollars and send it to an attributor and they will do it for you. I end up doing this fairly often with the tough ones to figure out to know I have it done correctly and get the right label on the coin. And yes, sometimes I'm just wrong and it comes back as nothing. And even the experts can disagree. I have a coin featured in the current (September) Coin World magazine, a new Lincoln cent doubled ear, while one attributor didn't even call a DDO.

Sorry I can't really help with your coin much, but seems like you are on the right track and wish you the best.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1089 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  12:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also not seeing any indicators of this being a DDO. FS-101 is an obvious one with a strong spread on ERTY. Here's a picture of the actual DDO. I pointed out the notching that tropicalbats mentioned.

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 275Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05