Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is It My Imagination, Or Are Coins Selling For Top Dollar At Auction?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 415Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  9:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Another COVID-19 effect?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3836 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don;t know about ancients, but for late medieval/early modern for the places I collect ... yes, at least fo rbetter grade coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5261 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, rarities and high grade material seem to be doing well. I sold a Parthian in the last CNG feature auction and I certainly have no complaints with the result. I do think that folks being home more, at their computers, may be contributing.
Learn More...
United States
23272 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The market is very hot at the moment and I hope it remains so. I just consigned my entire collection to CNG, they are so busy they will not come up for sale until Feb.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2017 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  03:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just consigned my entire collection to CNG, they are so busy they will not come up for sale until Feb.
... Your selling all your coins Ron?
Learn More...
United States
23272 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  04:59 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Paul, I want to buy a house, we have been living in a motor home for the last ten years and it's time to a bigger place to live.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
701 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  06:05 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you go to eBay and search sold listings and only look at auctions that start in a true auction style for $1 no reserve I can assure you these things trade like bullion in a very specific range and I certainly am not noticing an increase. I know what each coin will go for when I list it, the going rate and it does. So you must be speaking of other sources aside from eBay. I often think the best way to buy from anyone is to first check out past sold listings of the coin from true auctions and not bid higher as you will never get out of the piece for a profit. Or your children won't adjusting for inflation. Of course the fact we in the USA went up in debt by printing zeros on all our credit lines to ourselves and since last year the debt is up officially about 5 trillion below, these coins and everything will go up very soon. And having my cell phone scream at me to head home it is curfew (whoever chose that sound is pretty mean) here in Louisville is not helping me feel any better about things I guess.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt...thepenny.htm
Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So you must be speaking of other sources aside from eBay.

For ancients I participate in mostly non-Ebay auctions like CNG, HA, and the European auction houses. My impression is that ancients are fetching top dollar right now, and I wanted to see what others thought.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2135 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CNG ancient and medieval gold is selling for robust prices these days. Hard to win with a fixed reasonable high bid these days. You have to join the end-of-auction chase to win.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
09/25/2020 2:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1183 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
all depends of the quality of the coin. Prices are more expansive for better coins - I am counting in euros- but I think the difference is normal for a avarage coin, but it can be difficult to find the coin you want for a good price. albert
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3836 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with both @louisville's opinion and the others. I think there is a bifurcation in the market now.
I am not in ancients, but it seems the auction market for high quality medieval and early moderns is very strong, whereas eBay seems to plod along as usual. I decided to bite the bullet recently and pick up an ELizabeth I shilling for my wife's birthday (she has a small Tudor/Stuart collection), and figure it cost me 30% more than I had planned a year or two ago. On the other hand, think it means there is occasionally an opportunity on eBay when nicer material shows up (though I think this has always been the case).

@echizento, kudos on your brave move. I hope the market remains strong until Feb, and rewards you handsomely!!
Edited by tdziemia
09/25/2020 10:40 pm
Learn More...
United States
23272 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia, I hope it does too, thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3633 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well. I've been attempting to buy a coin from a so called "coin dealer" for several months. His emails return full without replies. This is a $2000 plus coin. Is this normal? I gave up. So....if he is not interested in selling at his asking price at website apparently no ambition to sell at auction.
Edited by jimbucks
09/25/2020 10:59 pm
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
701 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  12:21 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well oddly enough jskirwin, I placed a coin that was extremely rare in a CNG auction just this past week. Now as others on this board will tell you, Tyche / Zeus both seated left from Tarsus is really rare. I only had two bid and ended up at $70 before I paid the auction fees. So not all rare coins are selling at top dollar through auction houses.

https://auctions.cNGCoins.com/lots/...12h-criticus

It really depends on the coin you are looking for I suppose, eBay or auction house.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 415Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05