Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

EAC Help - 1847 Large Cent FS-Lc-1847-302

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 291Next Topic  
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  5:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gunbarrelcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Going through a lot of coins I bought I found this 1847 Large Cent the date looks like the picture in The CherryPickers' Guide FS-LC-1847-302/Newcomb-43. I was wondering if anybody with EAC experience could tell me anything more about this coin. I already know it's not pretty, but it is what it is.

Thanks, Tom
Edited by gunbarrelcoins
10/21/2020 5:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3044 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one in the CherryPickers' Guide is specifically the N-43 die pairing.

This obverse die with the repunched 1 is known to be paired with two reverse dies. The earlier die state, N-30, is more common than the later state and features a reverse with no significant die markers (that I know of). The later die state, N-43 is extremely rare, and has a reverse die with east-to-west die scratches through the NE in ONE, a scratch extending northwest form the T in UNITED to the rim, and two scratches extending northwest from the ER in AMERICA to the rim.

I can't tell if your coin has these die scratches because of the heavy damage. Closer pics would help though.
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gunbarrelcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some close-ups of the reverse diagnostic areas...doesn't look like the rare one to me, but I don't really know what to look for.

Edited by gunbarrelcoins
10/23/2020 11:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3044 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like N-30 to me as well, just not seeing the reverse die scratches.

I have one of these as well: http://crdievarieties.com/doku.php?...8471csrpd006

PCGS is actually a pretty good reference for matching Newcomb varieties, they have full coin pics of most die pairings:
N-30: https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...-30-bn/37340
N-43: https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...43-bn/535644

Although, if I'm not mistaken, N-30 is still a fairly uncommon variety. It was given an R-4 rarity rating, although this rarity scale probably hasn't been updated in decades.
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gunbarrelcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information and links Tanman. Great site, I added it to my bookmarks. I'll be referencing it during my furture searches. I bought a lot of coins from a dealer friend of my and I been getting a kick out of finding things listed in The CherryPickers Guide.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 291Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05