Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question On Five And Ten Dollar Confederate Bills?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 371Next Topic  
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  2:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rlmstamps2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While going through some old paper money that has been in my family for years, I came across these two bills. From reading many threads on the stamp forum, I know there are counterfeit stamps. These I assume have been with my family since the Civil War. My great, great grandfather Levi Burdon was in that war. I do see uneven cuts on the bills. My question is are they authentic, and if so what might their value be?

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no expert at these, but I would assume it's not very common for these to be counterfeit, especially if they've been in your family since the civil war.

I would judge value by searching for similar ones on eBay and filtering the sold items, it's a good gauge for what people are willing to spend. Condition is everything. If you were looking to sell I'd expect somewhere between $20-$100 per bill.

I found some of these as well in some old family stuff. They're super cool, but not too uncommon. I'm just keeping mine for the historical value. $20- $100 comes and goes, but a bridge to your families history is worth more than that.
Valued Member
United States
306 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i just checked ebay and both your bills are listed---happy hunting---
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rlmstamps2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you both for your replies. I will most likely keep them. I was told by my mother that they were from her family.
She would have been 100 years old this year. My concern was the uneven cut on the bills. Usually when we see that on coil stamps it means that someone tried to make a coil stamp out of a less expensive perforated stamp.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Check silverstash119's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These would have been hand cut I believe, and they're also hand signed, so not quite the same as current currency we have today. Uneven cutting like that is normal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
572 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look OK to me! I'd guess them to be in the $40-60 range
Learn More...
Australia
13458 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm no expert at these, but I would assume it's not very common for these to be counterfeit, especially if they've been in your family since the civil war.

Well, the provenance of a note cannot usually be confirmed beyond living memory, unless a family has been more meticulous than usual about its oral history. And Confederate notes are very widely copied, and have been ever since the War itself. It is, of course, not a crime to counterfeit Confederate currency, as American law never recognized the Confederacy as a legitimate government. It is only a crime to fraudulently sell a fake as genuine for an inflated price.

Lists of serial numbers of frequently-copied Confederate notes are maintained all over the Internet; I use the oldest one, Crutchfield's Currency.

By that list, the OP's notes are both OK.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 371Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05