Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Detection: 1924-S Standing Liberty Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 625Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  3:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
NGC - A poorly added mintmark and lackluster surface didn't fool NGC graders.

Read More: Counterfeit Detection Series.

The Standing Liberty quarter is a beautiful design, and high-grade examples can be quite scarce. San Francisco issues can be particularly hard to come by, as their mintages often were much lower than their Philadelphia counterparts. (Notably, a 1924-S has a mintage of only 2.8 million, versus nearly 11 million struck in Philadelphia that year.) With these low numbers, San Francisco pieces in high, uncirculated grades often can bring 5 to 10 times the price of a Philadelphia coin in the same grade. For example, a "Full Head" 1924 Philadelphia quarter in Mint State (MS)-66 would be worth about $2,500 according to the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation ( NGC) Price Guide (NGCcoin.com/priceguide/united-states), while a San Francisco issue in the same grade is listed at 10 times that amount! Obviously, this provides a lot of incentive for forgers to try to fool the unsuspecting with a phony "S" mintmark.

The photos here seemingly show a very nice 1924-S Standing Liberty quarter. The mintmark can be seen to the right of the lowest left star. It appears to be the correct shape and in the proper position. However, a closer look reveals a glaringly obvious issue with the area surrounding the mintmark—a patch of discoloration. This is a result of the glue that the forger used to adhere the "S" to the coin's surface in an attempt to make a quick $20,000 or so.

Check out this coin on ebay.
Read the Entire Article
Pillar of the Community
United States
1471 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting this
Edited by jmkendall
10/25/2020 4:30 pm
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glue?! I know that fakers use glue, but it's still hilarious when you think about it! Using glue to hold a mintmark in place...wow!
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Glue?! I know that fakers use glue, but it's still hilarious when you think about it! Using glue to hold a mintmark in place...wow!
Another good reason for giving your purchases an acetone soak.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy only certified now so I don't have to worry. Can't stand the thought of dipping a coin in acetone.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20887 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I buy only certified now so I don't have to worry.

Plenty of fake certified coins out there too.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't buy from eBay, only trustworthy dealers and websites. The fake slabs are almost always on eBay.
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can't stand the thought of dipping a coin in acetone.
Why is that, if I may ask?
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know it doesn't harm the coins, but it still makes me nervous. What if the acetone causes some kind of toning or corrosion later on?
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only way that would happen is if the acetone is contaminated. Always use pure 100% acetone, not nail polish remover, which may have fragrances and conditioners.

After an acetone soak, rinse with fresh/clean, flowing acetone. Otherwise the acetone will evaporate and whatever was removed will just end up back on the coin.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 3 cent piece that was stored in a vinyl flip for about 2 years. It hasn't shown any signs of pvc damage yet, and maybe it never will. It's in About Good condition, so yeah, it's pretty much worthless. But I will use acetone if it gets pvc goo. I hear acetone is effective on pvc damage.
Edited by Morgan Nerd
10/28/2020 01:46 am
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It will get rid of what is causing damage, but it will not reverse any actual damage.

I would rinse that coin now before anything on it has a chance to cause ruin.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the flip was one of those low-plasticizer ones as it was not oily or anything, nor was it as flexible as other vinyl flips, but it was not Mylar. It also had a faint shower-curtain smell, vary faint. The coin didn't smell though and it wasn't sticky or anything. I'm betting that it's all right, but as I said, if it turns green I will treat it. Also, I mean it was in the holder for 2 years, wouldn't it have been affected by now if was going to be affected at all?
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I NEVER use vinyl flips, in fact I NEVER use flips of any kind normally. The company I bought the coin from, GovMint.com, sent the coin in that flip. The coin remained in my safe in the flip for years before I removed it and placed it in a 2x2 cardboard Mylar-windowed holder.
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also, I mean it was in the holder for 2 years, wouldn't it have been affected by now if was going to be affected at all?
There can be a small amount leaching out and accumulating over time. You may not know where the point of no return is before it is too late. Think about the frog in the pot not realizing he is getting boiled until the water gets closer to 100°C.

Regardless, your moving it to the mylar 2x2 was the bare minimum action required.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 625Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05