Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1936 Bridgeport Half Dollar - Honestly Circulated?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,443Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1254 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  2:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all,

I've been giving some thought towards starting to pursue the Circulated Classic Commemorative "low ball" set. Looking at the magnificent "Days of" classic commems thread from several years ago gives me inspiration.

I've been monitoring Ebay to get some price estimates and try to learn to grade these (often uncertified) coins.

I came across this listing, sold two months ago, of a Bridgeport half that appears to be circulated. From looking at the PCGS population reports, and Nickelsearcher and Not Mint To Be's posts on here, it seems like this issue is quite rare in circulated grades.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383674755000

That said, it looks like it might be cleaned. What say you all, does this look honestly circulated or has it been scrubbed?

If I can get better at noticing "honestly circulated" coins, then I'll be ready to jump on future listings like this.

Thanks!

TSS
Edited by The Silver Searcher
10/24/2020 2:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2559 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say Cleaned. And nowhere close to a Lowball. If thats what you are looking for
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks cleaned to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52047 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks cleaned to me as well. Love the Deco eagle on this coin.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/24/2020 3:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4780 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of the straight lines (i.e., light scratches) on each side of the coin indicate to my eyes a past wiping/cleaning.

I was curious, so I quickly checked the PCGS and NGC population reports...Only two coins graded below XF-40 and just 19 total below MS-60 in the PCGS Population Report; just six below MS-60 in the NGC report (none below AU-55!).

It definitely qualifies as difficult among the circulated commemorative coins. If it wasn't cleaned, I would put the coin in the auction listing in the mid-VF range. It might not be an ultimate lowball (i.e., Poor-1 or Fair-2), but it would definitely be among the lowest Bridgeport pieces currently graded.

Hopefully, nickelsearcher or Not Mint To Be will stop by and provide their thoughts. As you know, they are advanced and knowledgeable collectors in the circulated commemorative arena and I'm sure can offer terrific insights.

Good luck with your circulated pursuit (if you decide to start the quest)!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
10/24/2020 3:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
572 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would also say cleaned. Not harshly though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
962 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice candidate for a pocket piece
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,443Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05