Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proof Coins / Proof - Mint Sets

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 752Next Topic  
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  9:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Smack2k to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What exactly is a proof coin? I see coins listed as proof that go for good money. I am guessing these arent the same coins that are in proof / mint sets that can / could get from each year as if that were the case, wouldnt people just open the proof sets and grab the coins individually?

Also, are there any coins in proof / mint sets worth searching for? I have a bunch of mint / proof sets from 70s - 80s - 90s in a box and didnt know if I should be looking for anything in particular?

Again, thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5281 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is a proof coin mean?
The term "proof" refers to the coin's finish. Proof blanks are specially treated, hand-polished, and cleaned to ensure high-quality strikes. ... These coins: Are struck at least twice, which gives the coin a frosted, sculpted foreground for a glamorous shine; defined, intricate design; and mirror-like background.

The errors for 70/80/90s are too numerous to list, need to research.
The link below is to the site with a wide range of information.
http://www.varietyvista.com/index.htm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11131 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  04:09 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know one thing I've looked for is the Close AM cent in 1998 & 1999 proof sets.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I see coins listed as proof that go for good money. I am guessing these arent the same coins that are in proof / mint sets that can / could get from each year as if that were the case, wouldnt people just open the proof sets and grab the coins individually?

It seems what you are asking is why some proof coins go for more money than others. These are all coins that are pulled from proof sets but have exceptional value for some reason.

As previous posters note, some high prices are due to errors.
Another reason is that some proof coins are made by chance with better planchets, have better strikes than their peer coins of same issue, or have other attributes that set them above the rest of the pack of same issue (exceptionally clear fields, deep cameo quality, etc.) People who recognize these qualities send the coins to well known grading companies to get them certified for grade which adds cost and value. So, when looking at higher priced proofs, check the grading. MS or PF 70 grades command the higher prices.
Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A proof coin is struck using a highly polished planchet, struck twice,
and handled with gloves. A mint strike is run of the mill planchets
run through high speed presses with no care for handling. dumped into
bins of 4000+ coins and bagged.
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smack2k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the answers....I am going to have to research what to look for in finding the better made proof coins before going through all the sets I received and see if I have anything interesting in there.

Again, thank you
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 752Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05