Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Septimius Severus Denarius.ric 424 Emesa Mint

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 338Next Topic  
Valued Member

France
138 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  10:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear friends,
You can see on photoes Septimius Severus Denarius.RIC 424 Emesa Mint. But Obv: IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS I (instead COS II). And rev. VCT AV(G).( instead VICT AVG)
Is it the one of the many varieties of the issues of Emesa denarius or unlisted one?

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1770 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How convinced are you that it is VCT rather than VICT with the I missing due to die clogging? I fully acknowledge that there are lots of errors in this series I always look for the more obvious explanation first. A die match would be helpful.

I have a COS II of the same type that also has the missing I but have put this down to die clogging.

Here are fully formed COS II - VICTs

COS I, VICTs do exist too...

even COS - I

Here is a COS II, IVCT...

Regards,
Martin

Valued Member
France
138 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maridvnvm@- Great coins! Thanks for your reply.
Valued Member
France
138 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maridvnvm@- I don't want to open a new topic for one coin.
Can you help in determining the mint of this coin.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1770 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Emesa" COS I-I - MONET AVG
Pillar of the Community
United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dougsmit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At some point we stop being surprised at anything we see on a die from the Eastern mints. Spell check was not a priority and there are many, many dies each with opportunities for originality. There even are 'errors' that were repeated on more than one die. I agree that I could not accept the lack of the I being more than a filled die until I saw several specimens from the die and none that showed the I in place.

Of my Victory 'oddities', I like this VICTOR VICT best.

Valued Member
France
138 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  04:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maridvnvm@- Nice coin! Thanks for your reply.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1770 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Moneta standing type is one of the most prolific from this mint spread across almost all of the timeline of the output.

The earliest coins of the type (from the AVG issue of A.D. 193) have longer forms of the reverse legend.

Obv:- IMP CE L SEP SEV PEPT AVG, Laureate head right
Rev:- MONETAE AVG II COS, Moneta standing left, holding scales in right hand, cornucopiae in left
Minted in Emesa. A.D. 193
Reference:- BMCRE -. RIC IV -. RSC -.

3.18g, 18.87mm, 0o

Obv:- IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG, laureate head right
Rev:- BONETAE AVG (sic), Moneta standing left, holding scales in right hand, cornucopiae in left
Reference(s) - RIC - (unlisted cf. 359A, which is scarce citing RD). RSC -. BMCRE - .

This reverse spelling error links this issue to another issue...

Obv:- IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG II C, Laureate head right
Rev:- BONETAE AVG (sic), Moneta standing left, holding scales in right hand, cornucopiae in left
Minted in Emesa, 194 - 195 A.D.
References:- RIC -. RSC -. BMC -.

3.16g, 18.53mm, 0o

Which also occurs without the error (obverse die match)

Obv:- IMP CAE L SEP SE-V PERT AVG II C, laureate head right
Rev:- MONETAE AVG, Moneta standing left, holding scales in right hand, cornucopia in left
Minted in Emesa. A.D. 194
Reference:- RIC -, BMCRE -. RSC -

Here are some other AVG II C - MONETAE

The COS I issue also use MONETAE

COS I also introduces the shortened from used from here on

Obv:- IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS I, laureate head right
Rev:- MONET AVG, Moneta standing left, holding scales in right hand, cornucopiae in left
Minted in Emesa. A.D. 194 - 195
Reference:- BMCRE -. RIC -. RSC -.

2.68g, 18.49mm, 180o

Then comes the COS II issue

Obv:-IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS II, Laureate head right
Rev:- MONET AVG, Moneta standing left, holding scales in right hand, cornucopiae in left
Reference:- BMC 380ff. RIC 411a. RSC 330

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1770 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Then there are the oddities... as if BONETAE wasn't odd enough

Obv:- IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG II C, laureate head right
Rev:- FORTVAE(sic) REDVCI, Moneta/Aequitas standing left, holding scales in right hand, cornucopiae in left
Reference(s) - BMCRE -. RIC -. RSC -.

2.99g, 17.53mm, 180o

Additional comments from Curtis Clay - "This combination of the FORTVNAE REDVCI legend with a type of Aequitas is reported on a denarius of Pescennius Niger by Cohen 25 (in a private collection), but does not seem to have been attested before for either Septimius Severus or Julia Domna, at least I can't find any such coin in BMC or RSC."

Obv:- IMP CAE L SEP SEV - PERT AVG COS II, laureate head right
Rev:- FORTVN REDVC, Aequitas/Moneta standing left, holding scales in right hand, cornucopiae in left
Minted in Emesa. A.D. 194-195
Reference:- BMCRE -. RIC -. RSC -

Obv:- IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS II, Laureate head right
Rev:- MONEI (sic) AVG, Moneta standing left, holding scales in right hand, cornucopiae in left
Minted in Emesa, A.D. 194 - 195
References:- BMCRE -, RIC -, RSC -

Note MONEI instead of MONET

Obv:- IMP CAE L SEP SEV PEPT AVG COS II, Laureate head right
Rev:- MONE AVG, Moneta standing left, holding scales in right hand, cornucopiae in left
Reference(s) - BMCRE W380 Note. RIC IV 411 Note. RSC 328b. All citing Stariner, 1928-9, page 199, No. 12.

2.94gms. 19.09mm. 0 degrees

Obv:- IMP CAE L SPE(sic) SEV PERT AVG COS II, Laureate head right
Rev:- M-ONET AVG, Moneta standing left, holding scales in right hand, cornucopiae in left
References:- RIC -. RSC -. BMCRE -.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1770 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the Moneta that starting this discussion I don't have a die match (I haven't looked through all my examples yet) but I would have to believe that the obverse was done by the same hand as created this coin. I am not convinced that it is an obverse die match.

Obv:- IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS II, Laureate head right
Rev:- FORTVN R-EDVC, Fortuna standing left holding rudder and cornucopia
Reference:- RIC 377. RSC 174a

Sorry for the storm of information.

Regards,
Martin
Valued Member
France
138 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maridvnvm@-This is a real historical story. I really liked it. You are a true expert and collector . I hope your story will please other members of the community. Thank you so much.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 338Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05