Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Photo Coin Grading In Saskatoon

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 622Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
429 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  5:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,
I've been using this on and off as a rough guide for types of coins I'm not that familiar with (most recently 25c). My other reference is Andre Langlois's book. It's obviously a tall order to come up with accurately graded and photographed coins for each little level in the pantheon but this site does a pretty decent job.

I'm specifically looking at the George V 25c at the moment, in the AU range. And these grades seem a little generous to me. Curious for opinions about this...

http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/art...ns-ver2.html
Learn More...
Canada
9371 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The source of those AU images is PCGS... it has been discussed here many times, how PCGS is very strict with mint state grades, yet overly generous with circulated grades (relative to ICCS and CCCS). Also, PCGS uses different grading criteria than Canadian grading companies. So you have to keep that in the back of your mind... also - that guide uses existing images from graded coins, so nuances like weak strikes and so on, are alongside stronger strikes, which can throw novice eyes off.

Lastly, some of the grades are shown there, ICCS rarely, if ever, uses (e.g., AU-53).

In other denominations, there are grades that I completely disagree with, and most of those were sourced from Coins and Canada website (e.g., George VI small cent in VG-8 - that is an F-12 grade in my opinion, and the EF-40 example only has the obverse and is definitely no higher than VF).
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
382 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So let me just say the Saskatoon coin club's photo grade thing is an excellent free resource. Unfortunately taking photos from PCGS, NGC, ICCS and raw coins creates a large discrepancy as discussed by SPP as the US TPGs use a different standard then Canadian.

With grading being so important to purchasing and valuing coins I suggest buying Guide for Grading Coins of Canada by André Langlois. It is by far the most accurate grading resource with full pictures available. As SPP said before it can be tough taking into account weak strikes of certain series or denominations as well as concave or convex strikes but Mr Langlois attempts to mention and show these separately especially when extremely common for a series. Nothing beats sheer experience and volume of coins seen but for anyone who doesn't get to look through hundreds of thousands of coins, this book is a great resource for only $45.
Edited by Talonbat
10/28/2020 8:23 pm
Learn More...
Canada
9371 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, this is the book I recommend. It is simple, shows the wear points and is what I used learning how to grade. I still prefer it over other grading books and websites.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
429 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually have the Langlois... but it looks as though I should pick up this other one as well - Charlton and Riley? I typically look at as many sources of information as possible, particularly when I'm making an expensive purchase. Anything that's already in my collection I tend to stick with approximate grades. When it comes time to start selling things then I'll worry.

Thanks folks.
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fidius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So how would one value a coin if it is graded at a VF 30 by ICCS and an EF 40 by PCGS? This can cause quite the confusion.
Valued Member
Canada
429 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Fidius - my personal take is that value is a moving target. If no one wants to buy it then it's worth $0 even if it's an 1873 Newfoundland, obv #1, 5c rated MS-67 by PCGS [nonexistent but for the sake of conversation...]. And it's also important to keep in mind what is actually in the holder. I have one of the above coins graded VF-35 by PCGS. My take is that it's more like an F-15 or VF-20. But it doesn't matter to me because either way, it's very scarce and it's the best one I've been able to find and afford.
Learn More...
United States
92192 Posts
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2020  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fidius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you JBuck ! Looking forward to the shared insights and experiences. Fidius
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 622Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05