Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Elizabeth I Half Groat. I Of Spina Over A Cross.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 301Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United Kingdom
524 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  12:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sorting through my box of odds and ends this afternoon I noticed this. The I of SPINA is punched over a cross. Has anyone else here seen this before?

MM hand, so 1590-92.

Edited by Hogarth
10/31/2020 2:08 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
488 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting coin. I can't say I know enough to comment but I see this thread has been quoted on other fora for comment. No one has yet said they have seen one before.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
524 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Paddy,
Yeah, I've made a few Google searches, looked at images of similar coins, etc. I can't find any mention of this anywhere. One letter punched over another would not be all that surprising. A letter punched over a motif such as a cross is something I've not come across before. So strikingly obvious too (well, I hadn't spotted it, even though I've owned this coin for about ten years). Maybe one for the hammered experts.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
488 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also now noted that the V of Civitas appears to be an upside down A - very unusual!
Edited by PaddyB
10/31/2020 6:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
524 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It does!
I was concentrating so much on the obverse I hadn't seen that. Thank you.
Might there also be something going on between the N and the E on the obverse?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
488 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  03:25 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is possible too. The interest though is more in the cross under the I. Apparently over-struck letters are not uncommon, as is the occasional misuse of an A for a V, but the cross under the I has not been noticed before and the form of the cross does not seem to match any known letter or symbol in use at the time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 301Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05