Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pretty Toning! What Is It Good For?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 408Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
473 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  05:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Okay - so there is clearly something of a fetish out there around certain kinds of toning. 'Bullseye', 'balanced', attractive colours...all that sort of thing. It's been argued by people I really respect, that a nice toning patter can actually raise a coins grade by a notch or two. I view it with suspicion. My personal preference is for toning that is original and that has not been tampered with. Often that's hard to find.

This coin for example, has clearly been abused. It's not that rare of a coin by NFLD standards - though I am a fan of first issues so I've collected the 1865 series. More importantly, I'm willing to bet that someone has taken a tooth brush to it at some point and then used some kind of trick - hard boiled egg maybe - to give it this bullseye toning.

Asking price is $265 USD. Personally, I would body bag this sucker and move on. But then, all my friends tell me that I'm a jerk. What to you all think?

Valued Member
Australia
321 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  05:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This sort of toning can easily be achieved by storing the coin in a dansco supreme folder.
The sulphur in the cardboard will tone the coin from the outside in.
PCGS seem to like it.
Valued Member
Canada
473 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@echidna - interesting - how long does it take? The boiled egg trick takes a few minutes but you have no control. Either way it is an artificial effect and I find it weird that PCGS likes it.
Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  10:30 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
toning should not affect the grade. But attractive natural toning on a MS coin can make the price higher. I know I bid higher if I like the toning.

Here is one I just won and can't wait for it to arrive.

Valued Member
Canada
473 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's gorgeous... the shilling - it was a good coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 408Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05