Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Addition Faustina I Lifetime Issue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 221Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2173 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  3:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'd been searching for a lifetime issue of Faustina I (Elder) for a while when I spotted this one. A couple of thumbs up from two members here (Thanks Steve and Bob), and although the reverse die is slightly worn , I snapped it up at 40 bucks, a good price IMO! Both sides have full legends and the portrait is really nice!.....The reason why I asked for some reasurance was that I hadn't bought from this vcoins seller before and he only had 2 coins for sale!? (Only one now). Also the price seemed....uuuuum good?...I wrote to the seller and WOW what a surprise as Philipp, the owner, responded quickly and professionally for me an A+ for customer lliason right throughout the purchase...Great communication and will 'certainly buy' from this guy again! (If he actually puts more coins up for sale?).

Her lifetime issue coins are not particularly rare but are much more difficult to find at a budget price amongst the barrage of Diva issues, this being obviously related to the fact that she was only Augusta for 2 years before her sudden death.

Here's the coin..The sellers photo as I've not had time to photograph it myself but the surfaces look much nicer in hand.
Faustina Major (138-140) Lifetime issue Denarius (2,81g, c. 16/18mm), Rome mint, 139-141 AD.
Obv.: FAVSTINA - AVGVSTA, draped bust right.
Rv.: IVNONI - REGINAE, Juno standing, facing, head left., holding patera and sceptre, peacock at feet.
RIC 338, RSC 215.
F-VF

I've always been drawn to Antoninus Pius and Faustina the elder's coins..... Good quality, abundant, a multitude of reverse designs and above all can be purchased relatively cheaply within a budget of $25 to $100, you can pick up some stunning coins!....

FAUSTINA I - Senior - Elder...Whatever you want to call her..
Although from Spanish ancestry, she was born in Rome on the 16th of February around 100AD and named Annia Galeria Faustina. She was the daughter of 'Marcus Annius Verus' who was the son of.....Wait for it............................ 'Marcus Annius Verus' the elder! ( Imagination zero!, but quite common place to replicate names here in Spain and Italy!)..The family originated from Uccibi (modern day Espejo near Cordoba) in Baetica (Modern day Andalusia) and became wealthy due to their production and supply of olive oil to the Penninsula and Rome. They eventually moved to Rome where her Grandfather was given the rank of senator and praetor. Her father became a prefect and served as consul three times, he was also a good friend of the future Emperor Hadrian.
Her mother was Rupilia Faustina an influential Roman noblewoman, her mothers maternal uncle was Emperor Trajan and her half sister was the future Emperor Hadrian's wife Sabina...
(It's not what you know it's who you know!)

She had 3 siblings two brothers, Consul Marcus Annius Libo and wait for it.............................Praetor 'Marcus Annius Verus'! So basically Faustina's grandfather, father and brother all had the same name!. Faustina also possibly had a younger sister her name is lost, but surmised to be Annia, who was the wife of Gaius Ummidius Quadratus Sertorius Severus, suffect consul in 118AD. Also as you can see in the diagram below, her brother went on to marry Domitia Lucilla...They had 2 children Cornificia and the future Emperor Marcus Aurelius (His supposed birth name was.....'Marcus Annius Verus'!!)....
It took quite a lot of research but decided to draw up a more immediate family tree which hopefully helps? It did for me!...

Faustina was born and raised in Rome, from a wealthy family with contacts in high places, beautiful, (although her coins don't particularly convey this), intelligent and so all in all a good catch for her future husband Antoninus Pius. They were both living in Rome as wealthy private citizens and eventually married somewhere between 110/115 AD. She spent a great deal of her time promoting charities that aided the poor notably in the schooling of young Roman children particularly girls.
Once married they produced four children..
Two boys...Marcus Aurelius Fulvius Antoninus and Marcus Galerius Aurelius Antoninus..Unfortunately they both died before 138 AD when their father Antoninus Pius became Emperor. And two girls...Aurelia Fadilla, and of course Annia Galeria Faustina Minor (Faustina II ) who would go on to marry the next future Emperor Marcus Aurelius 'So she actually married her first cousin'!
Faustina elder sadly didn't live long as Augusta and had been Empress for less than 2 years when in 140AD she suddenly died...Frustratingly there seems to be no reference as to how or of what but it certainly devastated the Emperor! He had the senate deify her, there were statues erected and a temple was built in the Roman Forum...The continuation of her Diva coins shows just how well respected and loved this lady was...

Here are some examples from my collection of Antoninus Pius
(RIC#155 type 1)with Faustina elder, lifetime (RIC#338) and Diva (RIC#351) issues, their daughter Faustina II (RIC#502a) and her cousin/husband Marcus Aurelius (RIC#50)..
Luckily/interestingly the Antoninus Pius coin commemorates Pius' fourth largesse distributed to celebrate the marriage of his daughter Faustina II and Marcus Aurelius Caesar in spring 145 AD.

Here's another tree (This one not done by me) which shows the very close family ties..
Learn More...
United States
23417 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice addition to your collection Paul.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5533 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, Paul - not just for the coin, but for probably being one of the few people (maybe the only person?) who can truthfully say they've bought out half the inventory of a VCoins seller in one fell swoop. You big spender, you. Impressive family portrait you supply here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the write up, and for reminding me of a gap in my collection. Off to VCoins!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
544 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice coin, and a very informative write-up Paul. Thanks for sharing.
Valued Member
New Zealand
278 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doctorwho2485 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, awesome coin Paul and also a very cool write up about her too.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2173 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments guys!..Glad you enjoyed the write up as I found it very interesting to delve into her background.
Drawing up her more immediate family tree, although a lot of work, actually really helped me to get to know the Empress more and will use this type of research in the future....

Frustratingly I was particularly interested in her Spanish roots but could not find anything going further back than her grandfather?!..If anyone has an idea please let me know..

Quote:
not just for the coin, but for probably being one of the few people (maybe the only person?) who can truthfully say they've bought out half the inventory of a VCoins seller in one fell swoop. You big spender, you.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 221Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05