Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Us Your Top 10 Coins/Artifacts Of 2020.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,083Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2174 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  6:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Drawing towards the end of 2020, a year most of us probably want to forget! Thought it would still be nice to see other collectors trophies over the last year...
And thanks to all who have helped identify and give valuable information over the past 12 months..
I've run a thread like this for the last couple of years and
really do find it interesting to hear why people have picked up their little gems!

PLEASE post your most loved finds this year!

For me this year has been an interesting year!
For those who are interested here's my top 10 list for this year.

NUMBER 10...
Chutas of Banavasi, Rajno Mulanandasa.Lead double Karshapana 30mm and 13.40gr...AD 125-345
Obverse..2 tiered hill of small arches surmounted by a large arch (8 arched Chaitya,stupa)?, river flowing below. Brahmi legend around..'Rano Mulanandas'.(Elongated LA).
Reverse..12 Railed tree with Triratana to the right.
Mitchiner ACW 4971 - 4972

I'd been looking for one of these 'lead Karshapanas' for a while that had good detail and luckily early this year, I assume a hoard find, placed a group of them up for sale...I picked up a couple of them and this one really is nice with great colouring and feels good in hand.

NUMBER 9..
Faustina Major (138-140) Lifetime issue Denarius (2,81g, c. 16/18mm), Rome mint, 139-141 AD.
Obv.: FAVSTINA - AVGVSTA, draped bust right.
Rv.: IVNONI - REGINAE, Juno standing, facing, head left., holding patera and sceptre, peacock at feet.
RIC 338, RSC 215.

This was my most recent purchase. I thought I'd have to pay a lot more for this lifetime issue type but was a coin I really wanted. This one popped up and filled the hole nicely! Her lifetime issue coins are not particularly rare but are much more difficult to find at a budget price amongst the barrage of Diva issues, this being obviously related to the fact that she was only Augusta for 2 years before her sudden death.

NUMBER 8..
Ionia Samos AE13 Circa 350 BC, 13.07 mm/3.08 grams
Obverse: Head of Hera left
Reverse: Lion's scalp facing
SNG Copenhagen 1694

This was number 9 of my 12 Bronze Olympians set. A difficult lady to find in Bronze and for me not cheap! But it's just a sweet little coin with lovely simplistic detail on both sides and a wonderful dark green patina an added provenance bonus is of it being an Ex Harlan J. Berk.

NUMBER 7..
Ionia, Phokaia, c. 350-300 BC. Æ (15mm, 4.36g, 11h). Phokleon, magistrate.
Obverse..Head of Hermes facing left wearing a Petasos hat tied at the back.
Reverse..Forepart of a griffin springing left. ΦΩKAEΩN (PHOKAEON), name of the magistrate below.
SNG Copenhagen 1039ff (magistrate); BMC 101.

It was number 4 of my 12 Bronze Olympians set, but not only did it move the set forward, it also added a few 'firsts' to my collection. At the time of purchase it was the oldest coin in my collection, my first Hermes and to top it all off a lovely depiction of a Griffin of which I didn't possess! Again a great little Bronze with nice detail and beautiful light green patina.

NUMBER 6..
Domitian. 81-96 AR Denarius (3.17 gm, 18mm). Rome mint. Struck 81 AD.
Obv.: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M, laureate head right.
Rev.: TR P COS VII DES VIII P P, tripod surmounted by a dolphin right. RIC II 74.

A lovely toned example of Domitian that was an impulse buy, it just caught my eye and the price was good. Also I wanted a Domitian coin without a Minerva reverse so this one fitted the slot. The photo doesn't really show the iridescent toning, its a beauty in hand!

NUMBER 5..
Mysia, Pergamon . Circa 2nd Century BC. AE 18mm (5.31 gm).
Obv.: Head of Athena right, wearing Corinthian Egret helmet.
Rev.: ΑΘΗΝΑΣ ΝΙΚΗΦΟΡΟΥ (Athénas Nicéphore), trophy, consisting of crested helmet and cuirass with arms below; monogram to the right.
SNG von Aulock 1374; SNG France 1884. VF.

This quite common coin is here because it was my very first 'Greek' and sent me off down a really deep rabbit hole! I'll always have a soft spot for this one, with nice detail and also a deep dark green patina....Love at first sight.

OK the next 4 were really difficult to place but here goes....

NUMBER 4..
Iberia.Indigets.Emporia Æ AS..27.88mm/10.05grams..27-25 BC..
Obverse:Head of the goddess Pallas Athena wearing a Corinthian helmet with the visor raised and a large plume.
Reverse: Pegasos flying right, laurel crown above rump; EMPO below.
Villaronga, ACIP 1098 - R6

After my visit to Empuries I went on the hunt for a coin minted there...They are all rare and difficult to find in decent condition so this one called to me! Every time I pick this one up it gives me flashbacks to its origins where I walked with my family over 2000 years later! For me an amazing feeling....

NUMBER 3...
Antoninus Pius, 138 - 161 AD, AE Drachm, Egypt, Alexandria Mint, 34mm, 29.55 grams
Obverse: Laureate head of Antoninus right.
Reverse: L DEKATOV, Zeus holding patera and scetpre reclining left on open wings of eagle.
Emmett1699 // Dattari2933 // Koln1560 // Milne1905

An important denomination to add to my Antoninus Pius collection. This big chunk is amazing in hand even making the Sestertius I possess seem inadequate! It has a nice portrait but the reverse is WOW!...I hold this coin a lot!

NUMBER 2..
Marcus Aurelius. AD 161-180. Æ Sestertius. Rome mint. Struck AD 171...(32mm, 24.68 g)
Obv. Laureate, draped head right, IMP M ANTONINVS AVG TRP XXV
Rev. Fides standing left, holding Victory and standard, FIDES EXERCITVVM COS III SC
RIC III 997......Double die match to the only example in the British Museum Collection.

Picked this one up at a good price thinking it was a good example of RIC#998 with the reverse being a slightly more interesting type, commemorating the victory over the Marcomanni in late AD171 when the Germanic invaders were defeated and evicted from Roman territory. A fellow collector informed me this coin is very rare and was a RIC#997 as the bust is laureate and draped unlike the just laureate headed example on wildwinds RIC-998, Also the coin is a double die match to the only example in the British Museum Collection.

AND NUMBER 1 THIS YEAR...
Antoninus Pius. 138-161 AD. AE Dupondius (11.76 gm, 25.3mm). Rome mint. Struck 154-155 AD.
Obv.. ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XVIII, radiate head right.
Rev.. LIBERTAS COS IIII / S - C, Libertas with pileus and sceptre standing left.
RIC 933....BMC 1469. gVF.

This coin has such beautiful detail with a wonderful green patina. The engraver was really skilled and it's my avatar now, I'm sure it will stay there for a long time to come
Learn More...
United States
23421 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paul, lovely coins one and all. I haven't bought anything this year and for the most part my collecting will be on hold for some time. I however always seeing all the new additions here.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8107 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have few ancients in my collection (not even enough to assemble a top 10) but this one is without a doubt the centerpiece as it stands.

My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5537 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Terrific list, Paul. Interesting diversity. You certainly had a successful collecting year. Thanks for mentioning artifacts in the thread's title. I'll see if I can post a list this weekend. Looking forward to seeing others'.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5537 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...the centerpiece...

A beauty,GrapeCollects.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
544 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Echizento and Bob_L with your remarkable selection of coins Paul. The Antoninus Pius is indeed beautiful, and superbly preserved. There would have been a fair degree of excitement when bidding on that one.

My collection of bronzes, while interesting (to me), tend not to be in great shape, but I look forward to seeing many more lovely coins in this thread. GrapeCollects has published a real stunner too.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1674 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coins and phenomenal detail, thanks for sharing

Pillar of the Community
United States
796 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paul, very nice work this year. You've done well. That Antoninus Pius is a stunner! The details are incredible. I am compiling my list and will post soon. Grapecollect, that is fine example indeed 4/5 across the board -
Pillar of the Community
Australia
639 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squire Wilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...I have only added two Ancients to my collection over the past year:
1: a Gordian III Antoninianus
2: a Papirius Denarius of the Roman Republic
Squire
Pillar of the Community
United States
5537 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remarkable sideburns on that Gordian III.
Pillar of the Community
United States
796 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up quite a few coins to add to my collection this year. So I'll post mine with a little twist. This is a list of my best bargain finds.

Top Bargain Basement Pick Ups!

1. Augustus: Obv: CAESAR AVGVSTVS, bare head right
P PETRON TVRPILIAN III VIR, winged Siren standing left, holding a flute in raised right hand and another flute in left hand at her side. RIC I 296; RSC 490; BMCRE 27-8; BN 154-6. Banker's marks on obverse and reverse. Rare. $250

2. Roman Republic, Q. Sicinius and C. Coponius. 49 BC. AR Denarius. Mint moving with Pompey. Q. SICINIVS before, [II]I. VIR behind, diademed head of Apollo right; star below / C. COPONIVS to right, P.R. S. C to left, club of Hercules surmounted by lion's skin; arrow to left, bow to right. Notes: "This coin was part of a large issue of coinage by two supporters of Pompey who had fled Rome upon Caesar's approach to the city. The SC upon the reverse was an attempt to show legitimacy for their coinage via the senate, but this could only be via those Pompeian senators who had fled Rome, too." Price: Price: $15.00

3. Roman Republic, AE As Sextus Pompey As, minted in Spain or Sicily between 46 and 43 BC
OBV: Head of Janus, bearing the features of Pompey Magnus (The Great)
REV: Prow of Galley Notes: A general of the Roman Republic, Sextus Pompey was the final opposition to the Second Triumvirate. He witnessed his defeated father's murder during the civil wars of the First Triumvirate. He fought against Julius Caesar up until his assassination and continued to oppose his heir Octavian and Marc Antony until he was finally defeated for good at the Battle of Naulochus and escaped to what is now Turkey. He was recognized and capture in Miletus in 35 BC and executed by order of Antony. The remaining Triumvirs could now focus on the rivalry between each other, of which Octavian would be victor and become Emperor.4 Augustus. 27 BC-AD 14. AR Denarius. Struck 19/8 BC. Rome mint. P. Petronius Turpilianus, moneyer. $34.95

4. Volusian, Antoninianus, Rome, 22mm, 4.0g. Struck AD 251-253. IMP CAE C VIB VOLVSIANO AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / CONCORDIA AVGG, Concordia seated left, holding patera and double cornucopiae, star in right field. Price: $14.86

5. Trajan, AR denarius, Rome. AD 111. IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TRP, laureate head right, slight drapery on left shoulder / COS V PP SPQR OPTIMO PRINC, Victory, naked to hips, standing right, foot on rock, inscribing DA-CI-CA on a shield set on a palm stump. RIC 130; RSC 80; Strack 131; BMC 322; Sear 3128. . Numismatic Note: This scarce type was one of a series minted to commemorate Trajan's victory over the Dacians, and the annexation of Dacia to the empire. Price: $15.00

Top Pickups under $35

6. Saloninus, AE Antoninianus. Antioch or Samosata mint, AD 258-260. 22mm, 4.42 g. SALON VALERIANVS NOB CAES, radiate, draped bust right / SPES PVBLICA, Saloninus standing right, holding spear and receiving flower from Spes, standing left, raising hem of robe. $34.00
7. Numerian AE Antoninianus. Tripolis mint. IMP C M AVR NVMERIANVS P F AVG, radiate, draped bust right / VIRTVS AVGG, Numerian receiving Victory on globe from Jupiter (or Carus) standing left, holding spear; star above, TR in lower centre. Mintmark XXI. Cohen 108; RIC V-2, 470; Sear 12257 $32.32
8. Allectus AE Antoninianus. London mint. IMP C ALLECTVS PF AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / PAX AVG, Pax standing left holding branch and transverse sceptre, S-P across fields. Mintmark ML. RIC 28var - $32.50
9. Claudius II Billon antoninianus. Antioch, 268-269 AD. IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG, radiate, draped bust right / CONSER AVG, Serapis standing left, right hand raised, left hand holding sceptre, Γ in ex. $13.27
10. Plautilla Denarius. 203 AD. PLAVTILLA AVGVSTA, draped bust right, hair waved and drawn down on neck / PIETAS AVGG, Pietas standing right holding sceptre and child. RSC 16. - $32.20

Bob check out the sideburns on that Volusian
Edited by travelcoin
12/03/2020 10:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5537 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some great bargains, TC. And, yes, another example of impressive sideburns.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
639 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squire Wilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...a great selection of coins.
I quite like Palouche's No1 and travelcoin's No4.
The expression on the faces of the Emperors and Gods / Goddesses really interest me.
I think GrapeCollects Gordian III is in much better condition than mine...

On the point of sideburns, perhaps that was a male fashion statement for the times. The smooth shaven face showed a civilized upbringing, the sideburns showed masculinity. Because women could not grow sideburns...
This fashion would have been particularly important to Gordian III who was just a boy when he became Roman Emperor.

Squire
Edited by Squire Wilson
12/03/2020 11:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
819 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add brenpickle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will enjoy looking at this. I was not able to add any new coins really, but can't wait to see what you all added.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4217 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no ancients in my collection but did have some nice (mostly late) medieval pickups this year in each part of my collection, (many of which I've already shown somewhere on CCF), so I've grouped them in two slides, no particular order...

1. 1494 Hildesheim sechsling, Lev I-316
1494 is a fairly tough year for OFEY collectors, and in my case I force my OFEY itch to fit my other themes, making it even tougher. Scarce type not seen very often. Bernward was bishop of Hildesheim from 993-1020, so perhaps this type, first issued in 1493,was meant to celebrate the 500th year of his appointment?
2. Hessen one-sided pfennig. Wilhelm II (1485-1509), Schutz 385. St. Elizabeth of Thuringia lived from 1207-1231. Her remains reposed in the St. ELisabethkirche in Marburg, Hessen (picured on the coin) until the reformation began, a few decades after the issue of this coin.
3. This coin was described recently here: http://goccf.com/t/385751&SearchTerms=Urbino

4. Poland-Lithuania Comonwealth, Zygmunt II August 1553 1/2 groat Kopicki 3245
A tough date for Polish coins. Lucky to get this one in such high grade
5. Kingdom of Poland - Wladyslaw Lokietek bracteate (1306-20), Kopicki 311. All coins of Polish rulers between about 1200 and 1330 are scarce. This is one of two that I picked up this year.
6. Flanders, Duke CHarles the Bold 1474 briquet, Bruges mint. G.H. 35-3a, Lev.II-15. I guess my #1 coin for 2020. Not rare, but quite a nice grade. It is likely to remain my earliest dated coin.
Edited by tdziemia
12/04/2020 1:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2174 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments, appreciated!
Great to see a few people posting...

@GrapeCollects...Super looking coin! You need a pair of these and I particularly like the detailed obverse

Quote:
Thanks for mentioning artifacts in the thread's title. I'll see if I can post a list this weekend.
.. Looking forward to seeing your post Bob

@Squire Wilson....Nice coins!....And as Bob mentioned those sideburns very 80's! They do make the coin quite appealing, a cool pick up!

@travelcoin...You've had some great deals there, really like the Saloninus and the Allectus especially at that price! Congrats on some nice finds and thanks for posting.

@tdziemia....Although not my collecting area I do like #5 the Bracteate and #4 the Polish Half groat....Looks like you had a good year thanks for sharing.

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,083Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05