Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dansco Storage Options For PCGS Slabs.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 353Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4257 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  10:24 am Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have the Dansco 8100 Lincoln Cent Album. (including proof-only issues)

I also have a few PCGS slabbed specimens (keys and semi-keys) that are part of my set. I place a blank planchet in the coin's spot in the album just to fill the hole.

My question is this. Does Dansco or Has Dansco ever made an album the same size as their typical albums that has the ability to store slabbed coins? I'm looking for a uniform way to house my collection. I'd even be willing to switch from Dansco to something else. Have an album for all the commons and a second for your slabbed semi-key and key dates that are slabbed. Do I have any options or am I just an organized dreamer? Thanks in advance.

Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
918 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe or ever recall seeing anything Dansco specific for that. I'm not even sure Dansco is still in production.

There are other products out there.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...AkEiEALw_wcB
Learn More...
United States
94462 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4257 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Jbuck. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Now we just need to get Dansco up and running at full capacity again.
Learn More...
United States
94462 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow Jbuck. That's exactly what I'm looking for.
You are welcome.

Quote:
Now we just need to get Dansco up and running at full capacity again.
Truth!
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe you can get a bit creative?

I have a few dozen different Morgans. Acquiring a full date/mm set will be a long, long term project, if ever, for me. I have a couple of used Dansco Morgan volumes, but my small collection looks really rough in those—way too many holes! I don't have the mental toughness to stare into all of those impossible voids... But I do like the Dansco's better than three ring binders, so my solution was to do the following:

I acquired standard sized, PVC-free pages for 2x2's. I cut them down to 3 slots x 4 slots from the 4x5. I used one existing hole for the first post. I had to punch a second hole to get the right spacing for a Dansco. I also added a third hole in the middle, and cut a hole in the Dansco to catch a third post, just for added security with the dollars and the flimsier PVC-free pages.

I did not use my Morgan albums. Instead, I bought a larger, cheap, used Dansco from my LCS (I guess it was a not so popular layout for State Quarters), and modified it by adding the extra hole. I also had to take shears and shorten the cardboard flaps by about 1mm to give the pages more room to lay over. With slabs, the extra thickness might be a showstopper for that reason. I don't know how the larger pocket pages might fit, but there may be ways of working around that, too.

BTW: I store my coin albums flat, as I do my nicer hardback books—easier on the spines, without all that torque. I don't know how well my configuration would work for those who want to stand a book up.

I also made this mod with my 7070. I added one extra page, which allows me to have 12 more type coins of anything I please that will go into a 2x2. My poor man's appendix.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
....there are other products out there ...
Thanks for the post, MOS0239. Might make me rethink the blue boxes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
918 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks for the post, MOS0239. Might make me rethink the blue boxes.

You're welcome. Happy hunting.
Learn More...
United States
94462 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I acquired standard sized, PVC-free pages for 2x2's. I cut them down to 3 slots x 4 slots from the 4x5. I used one existing hole for the first post. I had to punch a second hole to get the right spacing for a Dansco.
Over time the pages start to sag, so I did the same back in the 1990s when I was having a difficult time finding original Dansco 2x2 pages.

For what it is worth, I eventually replaced those homemade pages a few years back with Dansco pages bought from Wizard.
Pillar of the Community
United States
938 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three ring binder pages as jbuck mentioned is what I use and coincidentally from the same place. They neatly house nine slabs to a page and come three to a pack.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
12/03/2020 10:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4257 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  04:51 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the ideas. I have some thinking to do.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17902 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are no slabbed coins in my collection. Slabs do not suit my display and storage requirements.

Nevertheless,
I have seen 9 pocket slab album pages of the same size as regular coin albums. The albums that they go in would be perfectly sized to sit alongside normal coin albums on a bookshelf, and could be stored vertically, instead of flat, due to the stiffness of the pages.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 353Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05