Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New At This And Need Advice On 2 Roman Coins I'm Cleaning

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 325Next Topic  
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  8:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add corvum to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I just started this with 2 old roman coins and wanted to know if it's common to get a coin that may be smooth with no details?

I been cleaning both carefully with a toothpick and soft toothbrush. One has great detail IMO and the other basically smooth disk.

The one with detail looks like a Marcus Aurelius Brass Sestertius. But I'm not certain in the least.

I have pics for perspective. Any suggestions?

Learn More...
United States
23407 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

Larger pictures would help, from what I can see there really isn't much detail left on the coins. You may want to soak them in either distilled water or olive oil for a while. This might remove whatever encrustations are left and bring out more detail if any remains.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1543 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
there really isn't much detail left on the coins.

The second isn't as bad, the reverse is first and you can see a right facing head in the last.
Pillar of the Community
United States
790 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if the coin is smooth with little detail, cleaning might not help much in making it identifiable. But it's good practice. A soak in distilled water will help and I've used toothpaste with baking soda with a toothbrush. Also this website is a great resource:
http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/...copper.shtml
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add corvum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the insight. Sorry I was trying to make the pictures bigger but the site has that limit and my camera doesn't do close ups very well.
I have some smaller ones with details to make a nice shadow box piece. But out of the 12 coins I received 5 had details and the rest were too smooth.

But again is this common to have smooth pieces after buying from a lot? I want my purchasing to be more sensible.
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sorry I was trying to make the pictures bigger but the site has that limit and my camera doesn't do close ups very well.
You can use the Free Image Optimizer to crop images and get the file size down while maintaining high resolution.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add corvum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got it as close as possible but the back side is not good no matter what I tried. Maybe someone can recognize it. It looks like a Marcus Aurelius.

But that is me just looking at the ones online and trying to get as close as possible. Appreciate you time looking though.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5516 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might be a cult statue of Artemis Ephesia reverse. Although perhaps that's a stretch. If Marcus, might be from Maeonia. If you could clean enough of the reverse left to reveal NΩN, that might cinch it.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add corvum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Might be a cult statue of Artemis Ephesia reverse. Although perhaps that's a stretch. If Marcus, might be from Maeonia. If you could clean enough of the reverse left to reveal NΩN, that might cinch it.

Should I use olive oil and lemon juice? I left it in distilled water for a few days at first. Changing daily.

Then a toothpick. Then the water again and finally a soft tooth brush with toothpaste and baking soda.

Thank you BTW

Pillar of the Community
United States
5516 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm now spotting what might be an "S" on the reverse at 7:00. If that's correct, it would rule out the Maeonia idea. If it is an "S" there, it might be an Honos reverse of a Rome mint as. The "S" would be positioned correctly. Hopefully some more gentle cleaning of the left part of the reverse may reveal more info.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  01:37 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How does your weight compare to this one? (Your coin is first of course I mean the coin below.)

Marcus Aurelius, as caesar (Antoninus Pius, 138-161), As, Rome, AD 145, AE (g 12,22"; mm 27; h 11), AVRELIVS CAE - SAR AVG PII F, bare head r., Rv. CONCOR - DIA, Concordia standing l., holding patera and resting hand on cornucopiae, set on altar; in field, S - C; in ex. COS II. RIC 1255;"

Edited by louisvillekyshop
12/05/2020 01:38 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5516 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice matchup of imagery, Joe, the curve of the cornucopia to the altar aligns nicely.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add corvum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How does your weight compare to this one? (Your coin is first of course I mean the coin below.)

Marcus Aurelius, as caesar (Antoninus Pius, 138-161), As, Rome, AD 145, AE (g 12,22"; mm 27; h 11), AVRELIVS CAE - SAR AVG PII F, bare head r., Rv. CONCOR - DIA, Concordia standing l., holding patera and resting hand on cornucopiae, set on altar; in field, S - C; in ex. COS II. RIC 1255;"

Wow. That is a good image. I'm still working on it. Another week. I been at it for a few weeks. A few more days won't hurt.

Thank you.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 325Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05