Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some Help Needed For A Newbie

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 275Next Topic  

Georgia
38 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  07:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SamVimes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I'm new here and new to coin collecting (which is real fun, I must say!).

Recently I've bought some coins at a flea market, some of which I've been unable to identify myself, so would appreciate any help. Here's the first one:

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2162 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be Athena with Thunderbolt reverse?
Georgia
38 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamVimes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Looks like Paphlagonia Amastris, but the lettering seems to be different. Any ideas?
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gtkwml to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many Greek coins have an insect on the reverse. It's not a bee, like this one, but I'm seeing what appear to be legs and feelers on your coin.

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gtkwml to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rear legs on either side of a slender segmented abdomen.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2162 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks like Paphlagonia Amastris, but the lettering seems to be different. Any ideas?

Yes I started with Amastris but I think the op coin could be Illyria, Apollonia?
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is not correct, but I'd start by trying to match that "E" (that does not look like a Sigma, below that thunderbolt.

From
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=7042486
Georgia
38 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2020  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamVimes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look like an insect, but seems to have 8 legs, rather than six. Doesn't look like a spider, though. I'm confused. Is there some kind of a list of insects on Greek coins?
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2020  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gtkwml to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually the only Greek coin I know of is the ones with a bee. On the coin here I thought I saw six legs, an abdomen, and antennae. But maybe since I'm a biologist I tend to see images of living things. #128526;
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 275Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05