Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fake 1922 Peace Dollar? Help Requested

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 389Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2730 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  12:27 pm Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My brother just gave me a 1922 Peace dollar, and an 1886 Morgan dollar. As soon as I saw them, I had the thought they weren't real.

However Replicas and Counterfeits aren't my area, so I was wondering if you guys could confirm my thoughts.

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The light shall never be engulfed by the flames of darkness. Even though night may devour, brightness shines, never defeated.
Enjoy the simplicities of life.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53797 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a counterfeit. The date logo usually gives it away.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2730 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot Coinfrog! That's all I needed to know.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The light shall never be engulfed by the flames of darkness. Even though night may devour, brightness shines, never defeated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
682 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake, although an interesting die crack through the 9 in the date.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9513 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
although an interesting die crack through the 9 in the date.

That it is. I don't ever recall seeing an authentic coin with a die failure from the neck in that direction but then again, I'm not a dark-sider...
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3281 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
did your brother say where he got them, and how much he paid for them?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
928 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fake from an set of fakes, sometimes in an album sometimes not. Usually accompanied by a fake Morgan 1887 or 1888 o, or/and french indo China piastre, and/or a British rocking horse crown and sometime a whole bunch of fatman dollars or fantasy coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2730 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well currently I'm in Oman, in the Middle East. He got them at this shop that had several coins spread across a table. That made me pretty sure that they were fake. The Morgan dollar looked roughly the same.

He paid about $10 total. Lots and lots of red flags that he didn't really see.
Pillar of the Community
United States
896 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 'IN GOD WE TRVST' is very weak on this coin. It shouldn't be. I think it's a cast counterfeit. Weigh the coins to see if they are the proper weight. Do they have the silver "ring" when dropped on a table?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2730 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  04:27 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking the same thing, looks exactly like a cast counterfeit. Has the grainy texture of one too. And no, another suspicion was the fact that it does not have the silver ring to it either.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
928 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it will be magnetic (most of the times) and will not weigh correctly.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 389Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05