Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dawn Ultra To Clean Dansco Slides

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 323Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2020  2:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add keikat02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good Afternoon, Does anybody see any issues with using DAWN ULTRA to clean, remove lint, and possible fingerprints from the Dansco album slides. Would it cause the slides to develop a cloudy film or emit any kind of chemical gases affecting the stored coins' surfaces? I will be looking forward to your comments and other possible cleaning solution options. Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4052 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2020  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting question. My Dansco slides/album was used when I bought it.
I never liked the clarity of the plastic slides.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18337 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not all that keen on the idea of slides in direct friction contact with the coins.

In a dry atmosphere, the slides can electrostatically attract dust, which can come between the coins and the slide, with the possibility of hairline scratching to the coins.
I have seen rare cases where the slide can become milky or develop a yellowish stain over time. Easy to make your own with clear stiff plastic sheet recovered from food containers or toy or tool packaging.

That is why I use Mylar/cardboard flips in nonPVC album pages. The flips also allow for the write-up of each coin.
If you wish to relocate the coin to another area in your collection, the write-up travels with it.
Valued Member
United States
317 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2020  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also uncertain about Dawn but I know personally I'm so afraid of introducing chemicals that I won't use anything but a moistened tissue.

If your slides are yellowed or warped and need a cleaning that badly, it may well be worth just remaking them anew.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4532 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2020  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could do a test by trying it on a part of the slide that is normally covered.
I would use a very dilute solution of the Dawn if you are going to try it, leave it in contact with the slide for the minimum time (i.e., wipe with it, rather than soaking in it). Then rinse with distilled water.
Most detergents are complicated synthetic chemical cocktails, so the concerns expressed by others are well founded. Some plastics can "scalp" components out of liquids if they are in contact for some time, then release them later. If you ever store orange juice in a polyethylene container, you can observe this effect. The container scalps substances like limonene out of the OJ, altering the flavor of the juice, and transferring an odor to the container..

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20147 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2020  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure about Dansco but I've cleaned Whitman Album slides in the past with ordinary, no named dish soap and no problem.
just carl
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 323Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05