Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1966 No Mint Mark Roosevelt Clad Dime - Spock Ear

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 423Next Topic  

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  03:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mpfanku to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A large area of the face is covered with a long mark through the ear and a mark on the 2 o'clock position is missing from the rim at the end of the mark.
I have done research and cannot find any information about this coin.
Thank you for your time in this mystery!

Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  03:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mpfanku to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, it's nice to meet you.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37787 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  04:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. No mint mark means it was minted at the Philly mint. The scrap is PMD,not an error. The scrap around the rim is also PMD from a coin counting/wrapping/vending machine.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2701 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  06:37 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

While coins with no mint mark usually mean it was struck in Philadelphia, in this case, there is no way to tell what mint struck this coin. Because of coin hoarding that caused a massive shortage, the US removed mint marks from all denominations of coins struck in 1965, 1966 and 1967.

This was meant to discourage collectors from removing coins from circulation. They didn't produce proof sets during the same period. A ban of coin collecting was discussed by the US government, but it was never signed into law. So many collectors complained about the lack of collectable coins that the mints did issue Special Mint Sets during these years that are of a higher quality than the normal circulation strikes.

In 1968 the mint marks were added back to US coins and the normal proof production resumed and once again, coins that show no mint mark would simply indicate that that they struck in Philadelphia.

You can read more about the move to ban coin collecting, the removal of mint marks and the SMS collectable coins by clicking one of these links.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coinage_Act_of_1965
https://pastandpresent.com/2016/06/...ost-illegal/
https://coins.thefuntimesguide.com/1965_coins/
https://www.PCGS.com/news/collectin...of-1965-1967
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Edited by Yokozuna
01/10/2021 06:38 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37787 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO,the OPs' dime does not look like a SMS dime. That is why I think it was minted at Philly and not San Fran.
http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/price...icesgd.shtml
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54849 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5548 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mpfanku to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for the info. I am going to look into the SMS sets that were made during that era and learn how to pick them out. It is nice to meet you all and I will continue to read and follow CCF. I love finding anything new! Its addictive!!
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mpfanku to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the arrows pointing out stuff! Where do I find that?
I do have another question about the dime. If I may, how did the ear get to look as if the scratch went through it and reshaped it. Also, the dime has a crescent running along the inside of the planchet rim starting at the Y in Liberty and traveling around almost full circle leaving similar damage in other letters. Is that attributed to PMD and if so how. Thank you Thank you. Will post pic in a minute. #128076;
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mpfanku to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
5548 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
how did the ear get to look as if the scratch went through it and reshaped it

Continuation of the scrape mark.
The arrows are found in the photo editing software.
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love it. Even if its a scrape. "Live long and Prosper"
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mpfanku to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it too!! Maybe I can sell it for its "spock" value
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 423Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05