Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Taking Photos, Type Of Camera, And What Type Of Lens.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 211Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
204 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  7:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok I'm done using this phone for coin pictures. I would rather have a SD card and be able to save these pics. I am thinking of getting a cannon camera and tripod, but what type of camera. I know I need a lens but I dont know what kind of lens. I also am gonna need to learn what to set the shutter on and ISO. I have a coin I want to submit 1937 Lincoln wheat that has what's remaining of reeds on the rim. Now all the pics I send in get shot out of the sky and the number one thing is my pictures. I want to be able to take better picks to prove it's not a scratch or other details that cant be seen from a smartphone camera. I have learned so much here and as I learn I want to be able to help with my experience. Right now I cant even take a decent picture. Oh also distilled water help take black either corrosion from wishing well or from being stuck in a road for 50 yrs? Any and all ideas is learning for me. Please jump in and let me hear it. Great forum. Still got to figure it out though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
929 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is all I need and use.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20023 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just get a Canon, Nicon or even a Fuji. If it's an SLR where you can change lenses, you can always get different ones to Play with. Main thing is make sure any lens can take Macro shots. Even if you get a standard lens, close up filters are always available. With variable adapter rings for filters you can do almost anything. Experimenting is fun in photography.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gymcoachdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest reading through the coin photography section of the forum. Lots of great info there. That is where I learned the what and how...
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
331 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  02:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
any point and shoot---just make sure it has a macro or close up setting---i use nikon coolpix cameras---
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5500 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This the Canon setup I have it is hard wired to the computer once you have it hooked up you do everything through the computer.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3316 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "<$400" is still just as relevant today as it was when it was posted over 7 years ago, with minor changes, and general reduction in pricing. Take a look here:

http://goccf.com/t/158182

The basic system summary is:

Canon XS camera, body only: $175 (now ~$100)
EOS-M42 Adapter: $5
M42 focusing helicoid, 17-31mm: $30 (now recommending 25-59mm, same price)
M42 extensions, 2 sets 7/14/28mm: $15
M42-M39 adapter: $3
M42-RMS Adapter: $15
Nikon 75mm EL-Nikkor Lens: $40 (now typically $50)
Nikon M5 or Plan4 objective: $30 (now typically $50)
Tripod: $30
IKEA Jansjo LED lights, two: $20 (no longer available)

Total $363 (now $298 plus lights, or $253 without the details objective and adapter).
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@gymcoachdon ya I found the forum after I posted this.
@just Carl do they make a cannon macro lens under a grand? I was looking at and I think I'm gonna go looking for maybe a used one. Was going to hit a few pawn shops in the area and see if they have anything.
@mcshilling nice set up. Might be a tad out of my league as a beginner. Although I have thought about taking a photography course at the local college. Might become a second hobby.
@MOS0239 is that USB, bluetooth and cheaper then a cannon? I was looking at some of them so I can point shoot save on my laptop or sd card.
@mikev50 nikon? Havent looked at those. Had my attention on Cannon and Fuji. I dont want to just point and shoot though. I need to zoom in for good detail on is it a scratch or error. This phone picture stuff is not good enough and I even seen they have zoom lenses for smart phones.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5500 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@mcshilling nice set up. Might be a tad out of my league as a beginner.

Mine is from the setup that Ray has posted the <$400 and I was a total newbie to this when I started, just take it show and you will get lots of help.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 211Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05