Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1958 D Uncirculated (Maybe Bu?) Wheat Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 211Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  12:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all, I'm trying to wrap my head around the coin grading system and while I understand some of the book knowledge, I have no idea how to put it into practice. So, I'm hoping you guys can give me an idea of what this coin could be graded at so I have some physical reference. See pictures below.

I appreciate your time and knowledge!
Pillar of the Community
United States
929 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Help us help you. Do a little research on-line. There are dozens of websites on how to grade these wheat cents. Tell us what you think the grade is and we'll confirm it with feedback.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do as much research as I know how before I post anything. I have read the "guides" and exhausted my google-fu and I brought this coin here because I do not know how to apply the book knowledge in practice. If I had to make an uneducated guess, I would say maybe MS65 but I have no faith or confidence in my ability to assess coin condition yet.
Edited by Yorkish
01/13/2021 1:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53726 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My sense is that this coin has changed hands a few time. In any event, AU-58 would be my lowest estimate, with something up to MS-64RB a possibility.
Pillar of the Community
United States
929 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not expert either but I would say you're in the ballpark. I would say MS63RD. I see minor hits in the fields and on the devices.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14644 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No not quite . I'm thinking MS-63/64RD . Not to sure what's going on with the fields or maybe it's just the photograph .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37248 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking AU58 RB.
Here is a site on grading https://www.PCGS.com/photograde
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
929 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the picture quality, these bright shiny coins are super difficult to get good pictures of since I really have to nitpick it to get as little glare as possible. Thanks for the input everyone, it helps a lot. I'm trying so hard to learn as much as I can about coin collecting, there's so much to it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16776 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the background white? It appears to me the white balance is off. ALWAYS use a white background for coin pictures so us viewers can mentally estimate your settings.

The photos are fine but something is off with your light. Ideally, you want to show the luster. I find it in pictures by looking for cartwheel spokes in the image - I see none in your pictures. The light is very diffuse making the coin look flat. I'm betting this coin isn't represented well in your pictures as are far as color and luster.

What kind of camera and light are you using? Your pictures have great focus and detail - this is purely an issue with your lighting.

AU-63
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
01/13/2021 6:04 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16776 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this more of how the coin looks in hand? Also, notice the cartwheel spokes at 2 & 9 o'clock - when the coin is rotated, they move around the surface like a cartwheel. WE COIN COLLECTORS LOVE CARTWHEELS! That means luster and to accurately grade we need to see it.

I even managed to shoot these through an airtite - extra challenging. It's all in the light!

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
01/13/2021 6:13 pm
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I were to start over my experience with grading mint state coins, I'd purchase several low priced examples from ebay which will give you several slabbed "graded" coins in-hand to use as examples. Don't be like me where over time I've spent several thousand in grading fees. It was an expensive education for me but I now have my own personal collection of examples in hand that I often reference when I attempt to estimate new additions to my collection.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37248 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If anyone does that,buy them in this order...PCGS-NGC-ANACS
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 211Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05