Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Reprocessed 43 Steel Cents With Offset Rim?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 508Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  11:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Vervain to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought a set of steel cents on EBay and when I received them they were extremely shiny. I contacted the seller and was advised they were reprocessed (not in description of product). Upon further inspection I noticed they have an offset rim and words. It's not far off the planchet (hope I am spelling that correctly as I am new to this). Can anyone tell me if that is normal with these coins? If not with them being reprocessed does that hurt the value? Thank you so much for the information.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ghawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that's not right. Them being reprocessed certainly should have been in the description. Usually you can tell from pictures that they have been but at times it can be difficult. But unfortunately, they are considered damaged coins now.
As far as the rim and letters being offset. It would have to be quite significant to have any real value. We would love to see pictures though to confirm. There are good instructions and tips in one of the forums dedicated to help take quality pictures.
Edited by Ghawk
01/15/2021 12:26 am
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vervain to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will take pictures tomorrow and post them. The offset isn't significant unfortunately. I was very disappointed when I found out they were not original.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11379 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  01:42 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I would like to see pics, but if they were not advertised as being reprocessed, I would demand a return or refund. It destroys the numismatic value they may have had.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vervain to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I hope these show the coins well enough.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8921 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To tell if it is reprocessed or not, just look at the edge.
If genuine it will show a steel core sandwiched between thin layers of zinc.
If the edge is shiny like the rest of the coin, it has been reprocessed.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vervain to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes they are reprocessed. I spoke with the seller afterwards who responded with "steel cents are so common it doesn't hurt their value". I was interested in the offset of the design.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20095 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

So much depends on how much you paid for those. Yes reprocessed ones are very common. And if done right, almost look like new. However, yours does look reprocessed although in really good condition. Lots of original details although since those were made by the many millions, such condition too is common. Of sets as minor as this too is common. This all means your coins are just not worth much except as novelties.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1377 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was interested in the offset of the design.

Here ya go - hope this helps. They might be what are called " Encased Cents" - they were in some sort of bezel. Here's a past topic (please read) that explains it better.
http://goccf.com/t/390380#3340674

Edited by Rothery
01/16/2021 6:50 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16876 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reprocessed cents have no collector value at all. We consider such coins as having PMD.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 508Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05