Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Classic Silver Commem Type Set

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 788Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  02:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm a newbie to the CCF, and just started reading several of the posts in this Forum. What fascinating, valuable, and interesting knowledge @commems shares with us! Thank you!

Like many of you, I was drawn to Classic Commems by the diversity of designs, the artistry, and wonderful fascinating stories behind each coin.

While most collectors prefer their silver coins to have toning, and that demonstrates "originality", I'm part of the silent but somewhat large group that prefers instead highly lustrous and untoned coins, especially 20th century silver. Yes, I recognize most of the coins in my set must have been dipped, but apparently gently enough that CAC would still apply their sticker. Being in this untoned state allows the coin to appear close to the way it was as the designers envisioned as they came off the press.

I hope I'm not breaking a rule, but since I am NOT a consignor, and know of no consignors, I just want to bring to your attention that Heritage is having a VERY large sale of Commems ending tonight.

Here's a hotlink to my set (despite my comment above regarding untoned coins, you'll see the very first one, the Isabella Quarter, is heavily toned, lol):

https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/co...edset/189058

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
01/15/2021 02:16 am
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a set! I can dream...
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@PNWType, thank you!
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11748 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  03:26 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely set! Thanks for sharing.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5925 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely wonderful high-end collection of commemoratives. Congratulations on assembling such a terrific set! How long did you work on it? Finished?

Thanks also for your kind comments about my posts - I'm glad to hear you are enjoying them!

I look forward to your future involvement here on CCF!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How long did you work on it? Finished?

The main focus of my decades long collecting has been my U.S. Coin Type Set, which expanded slightly to a digital Dansco 7070 set. I also worked for decades on a 1936 - 1942 U.S. Proof Set.

Now to your question, lol: As those above two sets were close to "completion", I started on the Classic Silver Commem Type Set about two years ago, for the reasons of interest that I described in my OP. While that sounds like a short time for a set like mine, I can't even begin to tell you how much time I spent searching the lots in every reputable auction, along with collectorscorner.com. It's not just finding coins in the grades I want - I probably passed on well over 95% or more of the coins I saw in the grades I want, even though they had CAC's. The eye appeal to me was of paramount importance! Then when I would finally come across a coin that looked real good from the high resolution photos, I would then check with my contact at that particular auction site. About 80% of the time my contact at each of the main auction firms would tell me to pass when they looked at the coin in hand even though the coin would look great in the photos! It's all about relationships!

Finished? Never! I'm always looking for upgrades if I feel the pricing differential for an upgrade is reasonable, AND the eye appeal is at least as nice (if not better) than the coin it would replace. There are two upgrades in tonights Heritage Auction that I'll be bidding on.

Thanks for your kind words, as well as the kind words of others on this thread.

Edited by Winesteven
01/15/2021 08:21 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58359 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Monster set, congrats!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4905 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. What a journey going through your set. I have not been exposed to the half dollar classic commemoratives very much so 80% of what I saw was for the first time. Quite the introduction.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have not been exposed to the half dollar classic commemoratives very much so 80% of what I saw was for the first time. Quite the introduction.

I strongly suggest as you have time, read the posts of @commem. The stories behind each coin (politics, greed, etc.) are fascinating! He's a tremendous resource for the CCF!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1736 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh my!

Thank you for sharing these pieces of Art and Beauty, they are why I was drawn into numismatics.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4905 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. Thank you Winesteven. I have recently discovered his incredible posts. I have a lot of reading there to do to catch up.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Learn More...
United States
101024 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful set!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everybody for your kind words.

Steve

Pillar of the Community
United States
833 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a set to be proud of!!
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Incredible commem set! How long an effort? Congratulations
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 788Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05