Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 D Penny: Greasy Obverse W/ An 8 In States Reverse?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 274Next Topic  

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  11:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Blaz3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey y'all, I'm kinda new to the game (also excuse the name but I couldn't think of a clever name so my inner 16 year old came out, if there's a way to change it I will heh). Anyways I have a question about my 2018 penny, I'm pretty sure the obverse is a grease through error but the reverse is something I haven't seen before. Can anyone advise? What's it worth? Etc, thanks!!

Edited by Blaz3
01/16/2021 03:12 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2701 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  12:12 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

If it's a Grease Filled Die strike it's showing a very light effect. I do see fingerprints and staining on both sides, but that's environmental damage and not an error. Where do you see the "8 in States" on the reverse?
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
United States
5035 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  01:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is always best to remove coins from the holders so we can see your photos clearly. It really helps us. Thanks

to the CCF!

ça va bien aller

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blaz3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, I was wondering why my brand new iPhone was disappointing in quality, the holders deff get in the way.

And to answer the other question, it's on the "E" in states. Admittedly it doesn't come off very strong via picture.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  03:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blaz3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please let me know if I did it correctly!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2745 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  03:20 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah...your name certainly is what I would call "degeneracy." Personally I'd recommend changing it to something more appropriate.

But to answer your question, it's most likely just staining that looks like an 8. Tends to happen quite often with the environment.

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blaz3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your help guys, so aside for a grease coin that's worth maybe 10$ I don't have much here, huh?

P.S-hope there's a way to change username without making a new account :/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2745 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  03:46 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should be able to change your username in "Tools"

And I don't think it's a Greaser, even if it was, the value would be $0.03 at best because it's too faint.

EDIT: You might not be able to change your username by yourself. Go to this forum to ask for assistance:

http://goccf.com/f/20
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Edited by SilverCents
01/16/2021 03:56 am
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  05:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blaz3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And 2 final questions..if you clean a coin with water and a q tip and send it in, does it count as "improperly cleaned"?

2) Do any of these black/grayed coins worth anything? Is the quarter missing a front layer?

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1358 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't tell much from your picture except the "black/grayed coins" are worth 25˘ apiece.......
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  03:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blaz3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got my username changed boys. I ain't no coin hoe no mo! (lol)

And by 25 cents is essentially saying they're worthless because I can't imagine being able to sell them anyone for a quarter or it being worth anyone's time. Heh.

Now in regards to the q tip and water question, I'm sorta worried because I figured there's no way they'd be able to tell Mark me as improperly cleaned but after seeing some videos it seems they're very stern with that type of stuff
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 274Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05