Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tips For Getting Started With Canadian Roll Hunting

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 453Next Topic  
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  7:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Canadianpennyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I'm new to the adventure of roll hunting (searching through rolls/boxes of coins) and was hoping some experienced hunters could share some tips. I'm only interested in Canadian coins. The other day my 5 year-old son and I found a 1961 quarter so now we're hooked. I know that the easy part is to look for silvers but I'm not sure how to proceed past that. Some of my specific questions:
1. Do you look at every year or do you have a list of the years that may have varieties/errors worth looking for (and if so, is there anyone who could share this list)? For example, if you're going through a roll of nickels, are you searching for certain years that might be interesting and then focus on those or are you examining every single coin in the roll?
2. Are there certain denominations that yield better finds (nickels vs quarters vs pennies etc.)

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8281 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadianpennyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks DBM. Perhaps this is a stupid question but there' no reason to think there are other errors / varieties not already identified on this list is there? I'm assuming it's safe to just look for these varieties and ignore all other years right?
Valued Member
Canada
62 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fenian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It really depends on what exactly you are looking for.

Pretty much any year can have die cracks, rotations, clips and other such errors especially minor ones up until the late 90s/2000s when quality control got massively improved.
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cedargrove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Canadianpennyman,

My son and I started collecting circulating Canadian coins back in 2012 when they were phasing out the penny. My son was also five at the time. We started with pennies as we only had about a year before they would be unavailable, and then branched to all the other denominations.

Our goal has been to collect a decent version of every coin somewhat readily available in circulation. For example we don't collect versions that are only available in mint sets, etc.

I would recommend starting with CoinsandCanada as it's a pretty good list, and includes the varieties. You might want to pick up a copy of Charlton as it will also identify which coins were not minted for circulation.

I'd also be happy to send you my excel spreadsheets.

The only concern I have for you is that the mint now actively culls the pre-2001 nickels, dimes and quarters in order to recover the relatively valuable nickel and cupro-nickel. Since then coins are made of plated steel. This will make it more of a challenge to find the older coins.

Good luck

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I was at beginning stages of putting together my set of circulation coins I got a piece of paper and wrote all the years from 1968 to dat on it leaving room for a coin. When I searched I would look at every coin and when I found a year I didn't have I put it on the sheet. As I found a duplicate I would compare the two and keep the best one. Obviously the more recent dates (2001-date) will have lots of examples and most are good examples to boot but when you get into the older ones I would make the piles of say 1-15 coins for that year and then at the end I would go through those picking the best example to keep. Put the rest back into the box to be returned.

When it came to varieties or harder years to find that carry a little bit of a premium, I made a list of what I would look for ie 1964 extra water line nickel. I would make piles for those years and at the end I would look for the varieties known for those years or those that carried a little premium. It's a good way to stay organized if you're looking to include varieties in your collection. Focus on sorting years first THEN go back and sort for the varieties, this helps keep your mind and eyes focused on exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

For me I wasn't interested in most varieties but I did have a few that IF I came across a good example then I would add it to my collection. When it came to coins that carried a little premium, I would watch for those for the sole purpose of selling them. I may only make a few bucks but the little bit of money paid for the face value of the coins that I kept in my collection plus it was a few bucks to finance new coins that I may have wanted.

Between coins and Canada AND J and M website you can find most of the ones worth watching out for. Just compare the two sites. As you do more and more rolls/boxes, you're eye will start to pick up what you're looking for and recognize dates and grades faster. Happy hunting.
Edited by samsnate
01/17/2021 09:26 am
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadianpennyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cedargrove - thank you for the response. I've been doing the same - collecting every coin from circulation. I used to do this years ago and am not starting up again with the kids. I've put together an excel sheet from J and M but if there's a way for you to send yours, it would be great to compare in case I missed something.
And that's really interesting about the mint culling pre 2001 coins. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't finding more old coins. That makes a lot of sense now.
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadianpennyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Samsnate - thanks for your response. I've been doing the same thing to collect 1 circulation coin for each year. And I like your approach for hunting - that's exactly what I've been trying to do.
It's the second part you mentioned about putting together the list of varieties that carry a bit of a premium. Do you happen to have this list that you could share? That's what I've been struggling to put together.
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadianpennyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cedargrove - if the mint is culling all pre 2001 coins, does that mean all coins before 2001 are worth more than face value and are worth holding on to?
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cedargrove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pre 1982 nickels are 99% nickel and are worth more than 5 cents (maybe a few cents more). From 1982-2001 they 75% copper/25% nickel and they might also be worth more than 5 cents (I haven't checked spot prices recently). However I wouldn't suggest hoarding them to Kate a big profit, but if you held onto them for collectibility that would make sense.

Pre2001 dimes and quarters are also 99% nickel but I don't believe the metal value is greater than their face value.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
756 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1st off.......

Quote:
I couldn't figure out why I wasn't finding more old coins

It is called ARP-Alloy Recovery Program. It is good for the mint, but not collectors like you and your kids as the number out there shrinks daily. .

Quote:
if you held onto them for collectibility that would make sense.

I run my own program-LLARP. Loonielewy's Alloy Recovery Program. . I keep all the old ones. I'm sure others do as well. My intent is to have them available to young collectors who will have a hard time finding them hunting.

I know the fun is in the hunt, but if you want some older coins to slip in a roll every now and then to keep it interesting, let me know. I know it's sort of cheating, but I'll trade straight up face value, so you really didn't buy them. .
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Penny man ..... I do not a have a list of all the varieties or those that come with a little of a premium. I haven't CRH in a few years now and all my collections are complete from at least from 1967 to date so aside from looking for silver coins it's not really worth my time anymore so I have what I've looked for. But when I WAS doing it I made my list using those two sites. But I cherry picked what I felt was worth me trying to find and hold onto. You need to make your own list and decide how in depth/ involved you would like to go
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadianpennyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi loonielewy - I would love to take you up on your offer to trade some coins so I can slip them into the rolls my kids are looking through. They get so excited when they see something different (a commemorative quarter or an older year). I'm not sure how to message you directly (I tried but the site won't let me). Do you know how to do this so we could coordinate?

Thank you for your help with this. I'm amazed by how helpful this community is. Numismatists are such a helpful and friendly group.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
756 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you know how to do this so we could coordinate?

Yes. You need 50 posts to open your email option, then you will be able to contact anyone on CCF if they have their email open.

It may seem a ways away now, but it can add up quick. Just let me know when you get there. The coins are not going anywhere.

If you want some fun in the mean time, check out jbucks Guess The Price game. Lots of members play, and new players are always welcome. .
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 453Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05