Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2003 100$ Bills Bke Opinion

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 344Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
148 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  6:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello to every one.

Please can someone give an opinion about an fair price to sell my 15 in series of 100$ bills from 2003?

S/N BKE 2671510 till 2671524. First 3 are 65 and the rest 66 certified by CCCS.

Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1699 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Check Petersun's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petersun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I take it that these notes fall within the replacement range. My intuition is that the lot will get much more when broken up, especially since we're talking about $100 notes with book value of between $400 and $500.
Here is a link to a reference page:
https://coinsandcanada.com/banknote...&id_denom=10
If you follow the link "sold at auctions," there is a log of prices fetched at previous auctions.
An alternative is to auction one of them off to probe market desirability and decide for yourself how you can best price the rest.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4673 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might get 120 to 140 bucks for them
Valued Member
Canada
148 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, coinscanada.com price stop at 466$ for 65 but not price for 66 and I do not find any of them on auctions.

Thanks again.
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes these fall in the Jenkins Dodge Replacement Group 2 category as long as you have all your letters and numbers correct. I agree you are going to have a hard time finding someone to pay a consecutive premium on these when they are already quite pricy. I would think on the low end you will get $400 for the 65's and on the higher end you could get 600+ on the 66's. As mentioned you could put one or two out there, maybe on either end of your range, and test the waters. It's hard to imagine someone paying $8,000+ for the entire set, but I suppose anything is possible. Likely beat bang for your buck is to have one at a time for sale and leave a little time between each one so you don't flood the market.

I'm not sure where the suggestion of 120-140 each is coming from but I would ignore that one. :)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1217 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not sure where the suggestion of 120-140 each is coming from

-I think that it is coming from the question

Quote:
Please can someone give an opinion about an (sic)fair price to sell my 15 in series of 100$ bills from 2003?

The OP asked for an opinion on a "fair price" & that may have been where "John100" was coming from. It might be what a dealer would offer. If the market was hot for $100 replacements than I would think that even $466 would be a "dream-price" since my CGPM has GEMS listed for $360. I don't know of one single collector who pays a premium for modern consecutive notes. In fact everyone I know wants a significant discount (myself included). And I've always felt that the Charlton pricing panel is very generous with insert BV's (I don't see the same generosity for tough banknotes of 1954 series, for example #0000001 or any low #, etc) so I would be offering (if I collected $100) significantly lower ballpark figure than $360.

And to make matters worse:
1) $100 insert replacements are not high on a lot of 'high denomination' collectors "bucket list" of replacements
2) Many 'high denomination' collectors will gravitate towards short prefixes (such as the 2006 EJE at 0.4M or the BJZ (5M) short run insert (one at 45,000/the other at 90,000 run) over BKE large run inserts (& there are others)
3) the notes are part of a 15 run suggesting its quite COMMON & this particular BKE insert has only 1 prefix larger (2003 EJE @ 585,000). BKE (2.47M-2.835M) is the 2nd largest run of sheet replacements (360,000).
4) the 15 inserts were graded by the very liberal (& often inconsistent) CCCS (Some collectors I know would actually cut them out of the holder and submit them to BCS)
5) note that I wrote 'high denomination' collector which is a sub-section of CDN banknote collectors (a niche like error collectors) - so there are much fewer people out there willing to bid on the $100 insert that's from 2003 series than a regular collector of paper money. To sell one down the road could be tough since you pay a hefty commission (with small collector base)
Edited by walk2dwater
01/22/2021 12:11 pm
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure I would equate a dealers price to a fair price on a lot of items. They typically offer 50% of guide on bills at most, and buying in bulk much less. On bullion they will offer you less than melt typically. Is that reasonable? Of course it is, they have to make money on it and may sit on it for a while. Is that a fair price? Not according to auction prices, which are typically well above melt, even with fees deducted, especially on bullion issues that are considered "rare". It's certainly more convenient to dump a bunch of items on a dealer and take their price but I don't think I would ever expect anyone to tell me that the price they got there is fair market value.

I would consider a fair price to be what you can hope to achieve in auction, somewhat consistently. (Although obviously that doesn't always go well!)Thus the suggestion to put a note up for auction and see how it goes. It might be that you get a lot less than guide, but it is likely it will still net better than the dealer price. It's partly a question of how much work you will put into it. $20-40 over face value on a replacement note, even a more common recent one, doesn't sound fair to me at all. I don't consider that advice to be helpful or realistic.

Obviously fair is subjective so YMMV. I also think that throwing the numbers out with no qualifications at all isn't helpful. If that's really what a dealer would pay then say that's where the feedback is coming from.

A question for you on consecutives. If you had two consecutive 1923 DoC $1 bills in MS65 of a more common type you wouldn't think that might be more desirable than each singly? Granted your base of purchasers will shrink appreciably, but I think it's quite likely you could get a premium for the consecutives. What about 1935 $25 in AU or better. Worth more singly or together as consecutives? 1878 $1 St Johns in EF or better consecutive? Anyways my point is that sometimes it will be possible to get a premium. I have no idea if there is likely one in 2003 $100's but I don't believe it's always the case that there is no premium. There are very high end collectors that are always on the lookout for the best they can find in anything.

I have no CCCS notes so no comment on that. PMG sucks bad enough. Agreed that BCS is decent for all I have.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4673 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most note collectors I have met rarely ever mentions insert notes as a must have, but only one way to find out put it on ebay or auction to find out, and I truly hope you can get more than book, just look at yesterday"s Heritage sale some of those cool Canadian notes were goofy but that is the market.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1217 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect $100 'high denomination' banknotes but I do believe that a dealer's price (esp on a large LOT such as 15 consecutive banknotes) is not an unreasonable place to start. I didn't write that it was necessarily "fair" - only, perhaps, that it was "John100" opinion of a fair price. The goal of my reply was simply to give the owner of the 15 notes a different perspective since they asked. I wish I could be more supportive (positive even) but the real litmus test is to put them on auction starting for $10 & see what happens. Why start them at BV if everyone wants them?

I'm also with "John100" when it comes to insert replacements because I hardly know any collectors interested in modern inserts. Obviously, there must be a market for them but I do believe that this market is far softer than Charlton's suggested BV's. I actually bought 2 tough 2001 PMG UNC66 EPQ inserts for 50% BV about 2 years ago & I can assure you that both are far more uncommon than the OP's note (b/c they're also change-overs).

Quote:
If you had two consecutive 1923 DoC $1 bills in MS65 of a more common type you wouldn't think that might be more desirable than each singly? ..What about 1935 $25 in AU or better. Worth more singly or together as consecutives? 1878 $1 St Johns in EF or better consecutive?

Each hypothetical example you provided is based on super desirable banknotes! Older DOC & BOC's 1935 short-lived debut series cannot be compared to post-1954 series. May as well compare apples to oranges. In these special cases YES indeed: we will find the "big boys" who frequent Heritage, laying down serious bucks for some of the examples in consecutive if they're TPG (Original/EPQ) & presented with excellent eye appeal (esp in a hot, healthy market). Anything can happen in a real auction scenario (& in the scenarios you presented bidding wars may be possible).

However, try that same hypothetic auction for 1973 or newer & we're speculating on a whole different "ball game." Even, if the listing was for a rare/scarce *(asterisk) replacement (*AA above 5M: *AB; *FB; *FH or *MD, for example) I doubt that the final bid would be more than what one of these has achieved in recent auctions. I believe that what would be paid for (the run of 15) would likely be far less than 1 single auction result (since collectors would suddenly question the data/# compiled by Charlton). This is my opinion- but I'm sure you'd see the price of each scarce prefix decrease just as it did for the 1954 *N/Y $1.00 (& several other Modified replacements) after runs were auctioned off. Once runs of asterisk replacements are found the market typically cools (corrects) for the same note.

While indeed, we're seeing pretty odd stuff in today's market (esp with COVID19 sucking the life out of the economy) I doubt you'll see anyone speculate on 17 year old $100 inserts (& want to buy 3 let alone 15).
Edited by walk2dwater
01/22/2021 5:46 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 344Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05