Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 Lincoln Wheat Cent Doubled Die - Coneca New Listing Test Coin

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 471Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3062 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  01:29 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So this thread is started as a place to describe my experience as I attempt to navigate the new world of CONECA new listing submissions. Truly was hoping someone else would go first and give a guidebook on how to do it, but the unlisted stuff is piling up and I've got to get on it.

So tonight I started with a decent unlisted 1944 Lincoln cent class II DDR. I chose this one because there are only two of these in the listings and this isn't either of those. Thus should be easy for them to see that it is unlisted. Or, alternately, it could be a different die stage, which would still, I should hope, get a listing.

My first step was joining CONECA, since it is two dollars cheaper to submit a coin if one is a member and I have at least a dozen sitting here ready to go so that should easily cover my $25 membership fee.

The site was a bit confusing, as it is in several places, and mentioned a form to submit. Well I just clicked the "join" thing and it took my PayPal money and said thanks. Going back I did find there is a form you fill out and apparently send separately, although the website said it would come up somehow with the PayPal bit.

Now it would seem that CONECA doesn't want you to be able to just join online and become a member, but there is some step someone has to take to enable the membership. But I created an account as well. So far I can not log in. Oddly, there is also a password associated with the CONECA membership and a separate one for the forums. I think. Still confused.

So while I wait to be approved as a member, should they do so, I figured I would try to post the coin. Fist, you have to read a lot and figure out that if you want them to look at a variety is goes in the "attributes" forum. There is a big note in the text that requests for new listings are private and can only be seen by moderators, so I honestly have no idea if anyone else is submitting things.

However, I find no "new topic" button to open a thread to post my coin for their examination. Maybe that appears once I get approved, but there is a lot I can not see at this point, including my own profile, so again, confused.

And that's where I'm at after spending 1.5 hours getting a coin photographed and going through all the shenanigans to try and post it for examination and possible submission.

I hope to update this thread once I learn more, and in the end provide a guide to how to submit with the new procedures. For now it is a work in progress.

For kicks, here is the coin I am trying to get them to look at. Not the strongest thing I've got to submit, but figured I'd start with this one and once the system is figured out can move on to some of the better ones.

1944 Lincoln Wheat cent doubled die - unlisted class II DDR

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3062 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  01:47 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another step passed. Apparently when I registered they sent me two emails. Both went straight into my junk folder where I found them on a lark checking there. So now I have clicked a link provided and can see some things like my profile. Instructions said to send another email to a different address and they would then activate my access to the forums or somethings. I did that. Tomorrow I will continue this thread as things progress.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2741 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  02:25 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an interesting and useful thread.

Thanks for creating it Bats, it'll certainly help the rest of us if we ever submit to CONCEA.

That does sound super confusing however. Good luck! I'll be watching this thread for the updates.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37637 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  04:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tropicalbats,
I wonder if there is a phone number you can call and let them know that it is very difficult to navigate their web site. It sounds harder to post a photo there than it is to post a photo here
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3062 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This morning at 8:30 I received an email saying I "can now enjoy the CONECA forum". I'm guessing that means I will be able to post the coin to actually start doing what I started doing. But work gets in the way so it will likely be late tonight before I can play with this project again.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4490 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  09:54 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look forward to seeing and learning from your photos and submissions. Good luck navigating their site and as always, thanks for sharing.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54539 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those close-ups are remarkable!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1128 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very Nice DDR!
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Pillar of the Community
United States
1457 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It kind of bugs me that all these places charge fees to attribute new listings. I wish there were a "keep the coin" option where I could send them a pile of minor doubled dies and just let them list them and keep the coins for their records for only the shipping cost.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4490 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those close-ups are remarkable!

I was going to say something. But since you brought it up Coinfrog I totally agree. Fantastic.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
2064 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread and thank you for subjecting yourself to electroshock therapy for the rest of us.

Nice class 2 DDR with easy to see separation.

Once you get the system figured out, I can see you posting them at a machine-gun pace. They will probably have to institute new processes to keep you from being the only one to post on the forum and cornering the market.

EDIT: This seems to be a type of peer review for new varieties. It makes sense when looking at it in this light but the process to join CONECA could do with some clarification, it sounds like!
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
01/20/2021 5:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like these.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3062 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  12:55 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Short update tonight as it's getting late but should have more on this tomorrow.

I got the email this morning, and just went on there and clicked in to the "attributions" board. Yesterday, without having been approved, I saw a bunch of posts about is this a whatzit and the usual sort of thing. Tonight they are all gone from view. But a button did show up for making a new post, so I went ahead and posted the 1944. I could find no information on image size or anything like that so just posted the same size pics I posted here since I had them done up. Now I wait and see if I get an email, a reply to the post, or what.

In the meantime I am still finding the forums confusing, as going to the FAQ forum shows a lot of posts like "possibly a new die clash quarter". Not exactly a FAQ I'd think, but it was from 5/2020 and still there so...

More as I learn more.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3062 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently, you actually can not get a coin listed right now. I got a reply to my post this morning.

Quote:
Those are some great photos, and I agree that it is a doubled die. As far as the submissions for the CONECA files, we are still working out the final details. I ask that you stay patient for a little while longer while we figure out the process, but it looks like the way you have done it is great!

So, I guess I wait. I'll update this thread when things start to move again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
749 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jamez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can probably answer the opening post.

First step when joining CONECA is that you go to CONECAONLINE.ORG and click on the join\renew Tab. Next step is to click which membership you would like and click on that. Following me so far? The next step is to pay for membership and fill in the information on the form provided. Your all paid up.. This will alert the Membership person that you have paid your dues. In the next 1-2 days you will get an email from Maria stating she is sending you a package, User name and password to access the members only sections of the website. Now your off and running. (Remember the CONECA folks are not sitting at their computers waiting for emails etc.. its a NON PROFIT all volunteer organization ran by folks who have full time jobs and do it for the hobby)

Next lets venture into the Forum. This is a separate entity from membership. We could attach it to membership but that would limit who would be able to use it.. Therefore what is being done is when you register on the forum you pick a user name and a password. You are told in a letter that you have to click on that you have to request from the admin permission to use the forum. a link to the admins email is provided. Its pretty simple... Hello Admin my user name is...... The Admin will then grant permission for you to use the forum. Again, an email is generated and sent to the admin. He generally grants permissions the same day as he is on his PC alot. They do this because they are trying to minimize that amount of spammers that get access to the forums and create havoc.

Now for the attributions and examinations. Right now they are being overwhelmed with what error is this coin post.. Most as you can imagine are PMD and the folks want to argue with the gang looking at the coins. (right now its Jason Cuvelier and Bob Piazza, but more are in the works and some names may surprise you when announced.) They are trying to weed out the non errors and varieties saving the cost of attribution fees and sending things in via mail etc.. The club is also in the midst of building probably the largest database of Errors and Varieties known and its taking time. (Again all volunteers) If you have any questions I happen to know the President of CONECA, his email address is on the website and I am sure he would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Everything is not perfect but CONECA has not seen many complaints regarding joining or even getting into the forums. Don't fully understand this thread but I have to say its entertaining.

Signed,
Jamez
(maybe one can figure out my user name here and how I know this stuff?) Good Luck on the search to unravel who I am and how I know this stuff. Oh and welcome to CONECA by the way.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3062 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcome Jamez! And thank you for adding to this thread. It's kind of unusual for this discussion board but I'm treating it like a mini-blog of what I'm doing to try and get back to having new doubled dies listed with CONECA after the change.

So far I've found it has taken quite a bit of time to figure out using the website, and at the end of it all I never saw anywhere that new listings are not being looked at right now and to wait for things to get figured out. I would have waited until things were ready, and now folks reading this know to wait.

I honestly can see that one of the major problems with the CONECA approach is, as seems to be happening, that everyone with a die gouge or some MD is ready to ask an expert about their possible new doubled die. It's a service this board generally provides for free and folks enjoy looking at all the coins and the fun happens when one turns out to be a good one. But for your forum, set up as a way to submit new coins, that situation would not be optimal at all. Not sure how you can sort that out, but very much looking forward to being able to submit coins again.

Glad you have found this all entertaining! Not trying to be harsh or anything, just describing what my experience has been going through a process that I am going to recommend to anyone with a new listable doubled die. Would rather not have to write three paragraphs to describe the process over and over, so having simple directions in one linkable spot is sort of the end goal. Your post will help make that much easier, as other than the final stage of actually going through the submission process, it explains everything else.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 471Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05