Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1958 D Wheat Cent Is This What Wheat Ear Doubling Looks Like?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 211Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  11:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good evening all,

I'm getting alright at picking out obverse doubling on wheat pennies, but figuring out doubling in the wheat ears on the reverse is proving difficult. Is the coin in the pictures normal for a wheat ear? I have a ton of these 1958 D wheats in this condition and it doesn't look like most of the rest of them, and I can't find listings for 1958 D DDR's. Please help me learn.

Edited by Yorkish
01/20/2021 11:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD

Hint: Most wheat DDRs are not identified with doubling on the wheat ear itself.

Good luck.

edit: only two listed '58D DDRs
Edited by CentSation
01/20/2021 11:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the input! That is good to know. I'm trying to tune my eyes for these things so I'm practicing spotting certain things one at a time going through my collection, wheat ears happened to be next on the list lol

Also please explain how/why you think it is PMD? So I can follow the train of thought, not questioning your analysis.
Edited by Yorkish
01/20/2021 11:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My question to you would be: Does that look like doubling?

Not trying to be smart-alecky just asking you to look for doubling.

If you are searching 58Ds, then you might start with looking at actual DDRs that have been identified. CopperCoins is the only one that I see that has an example -- so I would start there.

http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/dies...ie_state=mds
Edited by CentSation
01/20/2021 11:59 pm
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it does, but thats why I'm here. I have no confidence or trust in my own analysis of wheat ear doubling because I've never seen it for myself or had any of it explained. I've spent a few hours googling for reference but it just keeps bringing up doubled ear Lincoln memorial cents and I'm not sure how else to learn:(
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coppercoins.com
VarietyVista.com
Doubleddies.com

and now possibly Coneca.org would be your best sources

edit: You can also try:
http://lincolncentsonline.com/index.html
http://www.lincolncentresource.com/index.html
http://www.lincolncentforum.com/forum/forum.php

and others.

Happy hunting
Edited by CentSation
01/21/2021 12:06 am
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciated, I already use the first 3 but I'm just now hearing about Coneca. I will check them out, thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4979 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You forgot one of the most important sites to check:
https://www.coincommunity.com/numis...R&gsc.page=1

ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, thank you! I forget that most forums have a search function.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37679 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a heads up,there are other forms of doubling that you will need to learn as well http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/...Doubling.htm
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1 that is a great link, thank you a ton for posting that. Now I can put them all on my training list lol and I even have clear picture reference for it now! You're the man.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37679 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are very welcome. In case you did not know,you need to click on the photos on that site to enlarge them.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 211Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05