Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post #104: Please Help Attribute Maurice Tiberius Imitation? Follis

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 152Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  3:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin weighs 9.74g, and is 28mm in diameter and 1.5mm thick. It appears to be an imitation type of Maurice Tiberius. I'm seeing a "X/X/III" date meaning "year 23" on the reverse, which doesn't make sense since his reign was only 21 years, thus backing up idea that its imitative. I also see an officina mark for "3rd" Officina. The mint mark is work off. Could this be an Arab Imitation? Any help attributing this would be most appreciated.

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
780 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am having a hard time pulling the 23 out of this photo of yours. So I'd not be sure this was an imitation or not.

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
780 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about THEUP? Judging also the A slightly above the large M.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=920348
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help guys. Here are some more pictures of the date. The style of the face on the obverse looks quite crude on mine, with the chin being pointed in a triangular shape instead of the semi-circle I see on the standard issues. I agree that the "A" in "ANNO" looks Antiochian but the rest of the coin is still throwing me off. Tough one here...

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
780 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  12:16 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are so many elemental nature exposure artifacts on this coin, can you really be sure you see XX III?

Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot be sure I see the whole "XXIII". But I am sure that I at least see "XII" the rest is unclear
Pillar of the Community
United States
3259 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AE Folles of "Moe" Tiberius (especially those of Antioch) are pretty famous for having blundered renderings
Many sellers don't even try to give the specifics in their listings
This one while having a clear enough reverse is common though in that the obverse legend seems to have been rendered by either an illiterate drunkard or some type of idiot savant
The seller was brave enough to describe the legend as reading thus

ΠITITNSIΛΓIΛPPΓ
(and in retrograde yet !)
Backwards frontwards sideways and upside down it's still just gibberish
If your looking for "specificity" try an emperor other than Moe

IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help guys. I will just attribute this as an Antiochian Maurice Tiberius Follis. Does anybody want to take a shot at the Byzantibe AE Trachy I posted yesterday as well?
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 152Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05