Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counter Stamp Dog/Horse?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 249Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  10:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add reese to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 1862 Indian Head cent with a counter stamp of some type of animal on it. I have tried to find something similar or more info on it, but haven't had any luck. Does anyone have any insights?
Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4546 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that's a cool counter stamp in my humble opinion. Being a collector of counter stamped IHC, LMC and LSCs I've never seen anything like it. Very unique. From what I've seen on eBay I'd guess a value between $15 and $30. Sometimes if the counter stamp is someone's name you can attribute it. Just being an image like that would require you finding it having been used as some sort of maker's stamp. That would require a lot of internet searching and luck. Neat counter stamp, thanks for sharing.

EDIT: Just guessing by the tail I would think it's a dog. Let's see what others say.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
01/26/2021 10:57 am
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add reese to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much, you have some really cool stamped coins as well! I agree that I think it is a dog because of the tail....
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54721 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you enlarge that pic for us?
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add reese to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully this one is a little bigger....

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add reese to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54721 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks - very cool stamp for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2155 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be a Democrat Party (donkey) counterstamp. The donkey has been associated with democrats since the 1870's.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 249Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05