Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The 1978 Eisenhower Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 357Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  7:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - The 1978 Eisenhower dollars may be common coins in the eyes of many coin collectors, but they really represent much more than may immediately meet the eye. They not only symbolize an important moment in American numismatics, but some 1978 Ike dollars are deceivingly rare, with a few certain choice specimens commanding impressive four-figure prices.

Ike Dollar, 1978-S $1, DCAM, PCGS PR70DCAM

The Last Old-Fashioned Dollar Coins
Traditional circulating dollar coins - the large, bulky United States types that measure wider than 38 millimeters in diameter and tip the scales at well over 20 grams a pop - didn't go out with the last official Peace dollar in 1935. These American classics took their final curtain call in 1978, with the end of the Eisenhower dollar series. And, in many respects, Ike dollars, which were in production from 1971 through 1978, bridge the gap between the classic silver dollars that were struck through the early 20th century and the modern dollar coins that are still made today.

When the Eisenhower dollar came on the scene in 1971, circulating specimens were produced from the base-metal copper-nickel clad format that became en vouge with lower-denomination coinage since 1965. Yet, the United States Mint made limited numbers of Eisenhower dollars in a 40% silver clad composition echoing the precious-metal origins of the earlier dollar coins. The last of these 40% silver Ike dollars are dated 1776-1976, having been struck during the nation's gala Bicentennial celebrations.

However, the release of the last large-size circulating dollar coins in 1978 truly put a bookend on the conventional dollar coins of heavier weight and girth. In October 1978, President Jimmy Carter signed the Susan B. Anthony dollar into law; numismatists at that time were well aware that year's crop of Eisenhower dollars, still rolling off the press in their waning days of late 1978, were to be the last coins of their kind.

Read the Entire Article

Check out certified Ikes on ebay.
Learn More...
United States
98315 Posts
Valued Member
United States
361 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received a 1978 D as a keepsake from my late Great-Grandfather, always thought it was neat as it was the end to the series
Learn More...
United States
98315 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was so taken by the proof that I did not realize this was general 1978 topic.

Might as well show the other two...

1978 Eisenhower dollar

Learn More...
United States
98315 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1042 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the complete series in raw form and find myself contemplating a graded set in the MS64/65 range. Seems doable, challenging for sure, and yes some will be on the high side as with the 1978 mentioned. Thanks for the post, I learned something.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Learn More...
United States
98315 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go for it!

I have two sets now. The Dansco and PCGS. Lowest grades in the PCGS set are two MS-64.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have two sets now. The Dansco and PCGS. Lowest grades in the PCGS set are two MS-64.

Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 357Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05