Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: Classic Commemorative Coins Depicting Places

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 527Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  08:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been spending some time over in the "Post Your..." area of CCF the past few months, doing my best to "spread the word" about the classic series of US commemorative coins.

As some of the classic commemorative coins fit into multiple of the themed threads, I tried to highlight a different aspect of a given coin whenever I posted it more than once. As I often discussed or presented something about the featured coin that I haven't previously included in a post here in the "US Commemorative Coins" section, I thought I would make a few index posts that will make it easy for folks to locate and have a look at the "Post Your..." topics that interest them.

First up, classic era US commemorative coins that: Depict Places:

One rule I used: The place depicted on the coin had to be specifically and physically identifiable. So, though the Oregon Trail Memorial half dollars depict a place on their obverse, it is a generic western scene and, as such, doesn't qualify. The 1936 Providence, Rhode Island coin depicts a conjectural scene showing Roger Williams coming ashore at the mouth of the Moshassuck River, the specific location is not definitively known (or depicted), however, so it didn't make the cut. I also didn't include coins with statues, such as the Lexington-Concord half dollar and its "Minute Man" statue even though statues physically exist in a specific location.

1. 1917 William McKinley Birthplace Memorial
2. 1922 Grant Centennial Memorial
3. 1925 Stone Mountain Monument
4. 1925 Fort Vancouver Centennial
5. 1926 American Independence Sesquicentennial, Gold $2.50
6. 1928 Hawaiian European Discovery Sesquicentennial
7. 1934-38 Texas Independence Centennial
8. 1935-36 California-Pacific International Exposition
9. 1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial
10. 1936 Delaware / New Sweden Tercentenary
11. 1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial
12. 1936 San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge ("Bay Bridge")
13. 1936 York County Tercentenary
14. 1937 Antietam, Battle of 75th Anniversary
15. 1946 Iowa Statehood Centennial
16. 1946-51 Booker T. Washington Memorial
17. 1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial - Coins Depicting Places Thread
18. 1934-38 Daniel Boone Birth Bicentennial - Coins Depicting Places Thread

A Modern Commemorative Coin Bonus:

- 2000 Library of Congress Bicentennial

Lots of interesting coins depicting places from around the world have been posted in the "Post Your Coins Depicting Places" thread, I encourage folks to "scroll around a bit" and have a look at them!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
03/21/2021 5:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4905 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! What a great resource. Fantastic as usual commems.

Edit: I think there is something wrong with the link to the 1917 William McKinley Birthplace...and the 1928 Hawaiian European
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Edited by chafemasterj
03/21/2021 1:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@chafemasterj: They both work fine for me. What issue are you experiencing? I'll do my best to fix it.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reno32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice topic, link working now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4905 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I go to the CCF's disclaimer. I'm on an iPhone so that might be part of the problem. Not sure.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@chafemasterj: OK, just tried it on my iPhone and though the two links you mentioned didn't go to the exact position they were supposed to, they did both land on the correct page. I was able to scroll up to locate the intended post.

I'm going to try to set up the links again and see if that changes anything.

Stay tuned!

UPDATE: I redid the links, but I'm having inconsistent results. Mods? Any thoughts?

Edited by commems
03/21/2021 5:26 pm
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21314 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mods? Any thoughts?

Sorry but I will not code the site to cater to Apple's proprietary way of thinking. Just like I won't cater to junk browsers that don't conform to internet standards.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, no problem. The links basically work and the solution to finding the expected post is just a few swipes of the finger.

Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I was reviewing a few things this morning, I realized that I made both a mistake and omission in my original post. So, it's time to issue a correction!

In my note above, I mentioned that the 1925 Lexington-Concord half dollar did not qualify for the list because I wasn't including statues - I completely overlooked the other side of the coin and the fact that it depicts the Old Belfry Tower which absolutely qualifies the half dollar as a "Place coin."

Once I realized my mistake, I crafted a post for the "Post Your...." area and provide a link to it here. I included a neat old photograph of the original Belfry in the post - the image has a VERY similar perspective to that of the coin. It's worth taking a minute to check out!

17. 1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial - Coins Depicting Places Thread

Edited by commems
04/04/2021 12:49 pm
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Time for another update to my original list. A few days ago, I was working on a group of posts that caused me to have another look at the classic series's various designs. As I was doing this review, I realized that the 1934-38 Daniel Boone Birth Bicentennial coins featured a "place" on the reverse that I had previously overlooked.

It's subtle and easy to overlook, but one of the corner blockhouses of Fort Boonesborough is definitely part of the coin's reverse design.

So, here's another link to the "Coins Depicting Places" thread with more details:

18. 1934-38 Daniel Boone Birth Bicentennial - Coins Depicting Places Thread

Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 527Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05