Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proof Set Question For Resale.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 269Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  3:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mrdrae to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If a proof coin holder is scratched, is it advisable to replace the coin holder? If so, what kind of case do you recommend and where can I buy them?
Pillar of the Community
United States
760 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the year. Most modern clad sets are not worth it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3053 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We need to know what you are talking about
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not worry about it. Sell the set as-is and let the buyer make the decision on the case. There is a good chance they will just discard the case and put the coins in an album.

If it is an older set (when they were somewhat sealed) and they want the OGP case, nothing you can do to fix that for them so no need to try. Newer sets can be opened and closed, so you make be able to find a used OGP lens; however, I still think it is best to leave that decision to the buyer.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17300 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For post 1999 set the holders can be opened and closed without damage so swapping the coins to an undamaged OGP holder would be best. You can possibly find empty holders being sold on ebay or put ads on forum marketplaces looking to buy same. There are probably members breaking up sets that would sell the holders. That would probably be cheaper than buying aftermarket holders.

For the pre 1999 sets that isn't a possibility as those sets were sealed and the holders are typically damaged, sometimes severely, in trying to open them. In that case either go with an aftermarket holder, or put them in a post 1999 holder, which in my opinion looks better, and I believe some of the sets don't have the year shown on the holder.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
237 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might find Coin Supply Express to be of some interest.

Click on Holders and Display in the Home Page bar, then Capitol Plastics in the first dropdown menu and then U.S. Proof and Mint Set Holders in the Capitol Plastics dropdown.

Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Edited by Kcm
04/06/2021 08:02 am
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrdrae to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the best pics I could muster.
The scratches look worser under the scope.

Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah...I think we were thinking of proof sets. For single proof coins, you should be able to just get the appropriately sized airtight sold at coin shops/online. If you are just buying one, it is probably cheapest to just go to a local coin shop since the shipping would likely cost more than the airtight. Be very careful not to touch any of the surfaces when you transfer the coin since the proof surfaces will really showcase your fingerprint.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 269Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05