Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1951 Nickel With Narrow Rim On One Side

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 393Next Topic  

Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  7:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mgalb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just going through some of my coins I have collected for 40 years but never really looked at. I found this 1951 beaver nickel which has retained it's nice blue colour. I see that it is a low relief given the A is pointing between the denticles....but on closer inspection I see that the rim seems to be considerably thinner and denticles are not very prominent on the top right of the the obverse. The reverse seems fine. Has anyone else got one like this? Is it post mint damage or an error?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11748 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might have been caused by an ever so slightly misaligned and/or tilted die.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10338 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, just a slight MAD. Not really enough to have any added value.
It would have to be off enough that some of the lettering is missing to have value.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
536 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  01:37 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somethings wrong with the rim. Is there black corrosion on the edge at DEI GRA ? Is there pitting on the area where the denticles are disturbed ? Looks like the rim was dinged and then corroded under the chrome plating.
Edited by TerryT
04/10/2021 01:42 am
Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mgalb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No corrosion. Just some gummy black crud...I am new to coin collecting but I have learned you are not supposed to clean them so I was reluctant to try and remove it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 393Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05