Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Zealand Coins: Why Is It So?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 4,123Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Australia
281 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2006  08:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grendelfreak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Why do I keep finding New Zealand 20c, 5c and the occasional 10c piece in my change? sure they are the same size but there is 1200km of water between here and there.
Learn More...
United States
15462 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2006  09:02 am  Show Profile   Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same Reason Yanks and Canadians find each others coins in their change.

Tourists & business travelers.

The banks hate it.
My local branch in the states "disposes" of Canadian coins- I have been trying to get them to donate to the local youth groups.

rggoodie
aka Richard
"catch em doing something right"
Learn More...
Australia
14270 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2006  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My NZ 'assembled from change' date set is nearly as complete as my Australian one.

They're a pest for Aussie vending machine operators, too. Australian and New Zealand coins (particularly the coins in question) are not just the same size, but the same weight and composition, so there's no way for a machine to discern them. With NZ20c equal to AU18c, most folks figure out it's the most profitable way to get rid of the things. This should change with NZ's plans to reform their coinage along the same lines as Britain's (reduced sizes all round).
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1079 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2006  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KLD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since their currency is worth less then ours, I think the government does it on purpose....LOL
Pillar of the Community
Australia
853 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2006  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigfella to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use al lot of NZ coin in parking meters around my shop.
Valued Member
New Zealand
227 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2006  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grouse12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was just wondering after reading the thread if you strike any other coins in your change. We used to get Fijian and cook island coins as well as the Australian coins of course.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1360 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2006  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snooba to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by grouse12

I was just wondering after reading the thread if you strike any other coins in your change.

I often come across Kiwi, Fiji, and Singapore coins in my change. You can only change your notes back into Australian dollars when you arrive home, so you need to off-load your coins somehow!
Learn More...
Australia
14270 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2006  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands are also fairly commonly encountered here. None are nowhere near as common as NZ, though.

Just about all the Pacific Island countries issue "10-cent-sized" and "20-cent-sized" coins, which theoretically could easily wind up in change here. Only the British Commonwealth ones (with the Queen's portrait) are likely to go un-noticed in circulation for very long, though - I've hardly ever heard of New Caledonian and French Polynesian coins being found here, for instance.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Australia
222 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2006  03:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eric to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a restaurant manager and each night while counting the tills I've found everything from the usual NZ and Fiji coins to Round 1966 fifty cents and other predecimal silvers. The most unusual item I've found being passed off for currency was some kind of football token from the Sydney Morning Herald.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1360 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2006  04:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snooba to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a restaurant manager that must be frustrating, but as a collector - what luck! I wonder what else you may come across?
Valued Member
New Zealand
227 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2006  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grouse12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if you will find much of our new coins in circ in Aus. they are all about the size of a ten cent and the ten is copperish in color
Valued Member
Australia
444 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2006  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNC king to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
now that the new coins have changed you wont have that problem any more
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1360 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2006  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snooba to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't wait to see what the new N.Z. coins look and feel like!
Valued Member
Australia
444 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2006  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNC king to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
they are smaller and lighter no 5 cent piece any more the 10 cent is a bronze or copper coin the 20 cent is the size of the old 10 cent and the 50 cent is the size of an aussie dollar
Edited by PNC king
09/18/2006 04:55 am
Valued Member
Australia
161 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2006  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add secretsquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be honest they now look like play money
Pillar of the Community
Australia
560 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2011  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Enlil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And I get a lot of them still, mainly 20's and 50's, had some 10 with 1 and 2 dollars. Actually now I have 50 dollars worth.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 4,123Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: