Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would Like Opinions About Morgan And Peace Dollars With Some Hairlines

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 193Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  6:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I posted a Morgan over at the grading forum, and though there was a comment about hairlines, this question isn't about that coin, but in general how hairlines affect peoples opinions or grades.

I have had on my own coins I've submitted here before, and seen on other peoples posted coins comments like, there are some hairlines and that makes this a slider, or because of the hairlines this coin is details. When I read the ANA standards, they pretty much say that all the way up to MS-67, some hairlines are acceptable in MS. Here they are ...............

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/ana...oins-4041821

So what gives? Are some folks here seeing all hairlines as a killer of grades that must automatically remove any chance at an MS grade, is ANA wrong?

Sure would like to hear explanations and opinions on this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2241 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin grading is very subjective. You'll never get everyone to agree on the technical grade of a coin let alone the impact of eye appeal, toning, hairlines, etc. It's even more difficult when the coins are being evaluated on a computer of phone screen. The minor hairlines you see in hand quite often look far worse in the photos the "grade guessers" are evaluating.
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It depends. A few light hairlines is okay. A lot of heavy hairlines is probably not. Without seeing the exact coin with the exact hairlines, that's about as clear as it gets. I saw the other coin you posted and thought it was fine, but without the coin in-hand, I couldn't really disagree with other opinions either. Just looking at a single picture on the internet, there is bound to be some guessing and assumptions about what is there.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 193Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05