Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Henri ? Hammered Coin Identity

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 225Next Topic  
Ireland
2 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  2:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JoeKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi
Can anyone help identify this coin.

It appears to be silver, does not stick to a rare earth magnet but seems to slide off quicker than expected, however it's such a small coin it's very difficult to check that way.

Weight is near 1.3 grams

Be great if someone could identify what it is, if likely a genuine coin and approximate value if anything significant.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by JoeKelly
05/11/2021 3:14 pm
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
142 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be a Henry VIII Silver half groat, Second coinage.. Possibly York Mint.
Authenticity wise no idea. Someone with more experience would need to weigh in.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
592 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Agreed, Henry VIII halfgroat. First coinage, York, mm pansy.
Spink 2326.
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Gainn is right. Looks to be Henry VIII Half Groat, York Mint

Portrait makes it appear to be York Mint, presence of the Z before the cross of his crown makes it look like first coinage

I'm a bit suspect from the surfaces, but these aren't my area of expertise
Valued Member
United Kingdom
142 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Agreed, Henry VIII halfgroat. First coinage, York, mm pansy.

Quote:
presence of the Z before the cross of his crown makes it look like first coinage

Indeed it does. It's not the first (but hopefully the last) time I've got them mixed up.

The surface texture gives me pause, but my experience of Henry VIII coins is limited and the only half groat I've owned had been aggressively cleaned.
Ireland
2 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoeKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the feedback and info. I wondered what the symbol was, so its a pansymintmark, thanks
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
592 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome.
Yes, pansy mintmark, and it's the keys under the shield which indicate York.
Edited by Hogarth
05/12/2021 10:36 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 225Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05