Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Ancient Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 320Next Topic  

Germany
30 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  2:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add stgaudens to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is my first ancient coin:

https://www.greatcollections.com/Co...int-NGC-Fine

Unfortunately it hasn't arrived in Germany yet but I hope it won't take too long... I love the history behind this coin as well as the original toning :D In my opinion, the overall eye appeal of the coin is great despite the bad condition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5859 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Trajan denarius is a good starting point for an ancients collection. Attractive coin. Congrats.
Learn More...
United States
23551 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice coin for your first ancient. You will always pay a little extra for a slabbed coin, you did well with one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4901 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done. She's a beauty!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
571 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every collection starts with the first. Mine was a denarius of Marcus Aurelius in 2014. I've bought more expensive coins, but that first purchase sticks with you.
Germany
30 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stgaudens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your nice comments :D I have been reading a lot about silver coins, especially ancient ones and I have heard that most coins don't have their original hoard toning, but are cleaned after being found and over time, collection toning is forming. Do you think this coin has it's original hoard patina or is it old collection toning?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5859 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's very probable that the coin was cleaned at some point (or points) since antiquity, and that the toning is more recent.
Learn More...
United States
100731 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 320Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05