Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Check Out Date On This 1888

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 463Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
188 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  3:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not sure but I think the lower coin shows all 8 s to be bolder than the coin above it. What you guys think. I know not the greatest photo

Thanks for looking
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59494 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably just a difference in wear, but the darker field on the lower one could be highlighting the definition of the bright date.
Valued Member
Canada
188 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No I'm hand the bottom coin the 8's look so much bolder I wish I could get a better photo
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3724 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bottom look bolder because of the wear. The design, letters and date are tapered, narrower at the top and fatter toward the bottom so that the planchet doesn't stick to the die when struck. When the coin wears, everything looks fatter/bolder because the narrower part of the digit is gone.
Valued Member
Canada
188 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks I could see that happening. Thanks okie
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2146 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sammeli could you do me a favor. if you can take a full photo of both those coins full size. I would like to do and overlay of your coins. you might have a new variety there.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3724 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rocky: There is no new variety there, as much as you hope that you can finally find one. Just use your eyes and understand what happens when a coin wears down after it's struck. Take a worn coin and then a well struck one of the same date next to it and just look at the difference without blinding light or 100X magnification.. Your overlays have done nothing but ultimately confusing other newbie collectors.. Coloring outside the lines sometimes shows real thought but, other times, it just shows that there's someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
948 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will post here the photo that I trace. Seem to be not the same date punch. a full photo of the two coins will help more, if it is possible.

I do not pronounce of a new variety or such yet. I just look of the lines and give me and you will see different angles.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3724 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "different angles" that you see is because the lower bottom coin is rotated slightly CCW from the top one.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 463Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05